PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a extra power steering gear box that will fit a 57 hawk?

christineman
09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
anyone have a ps box that will go on a 57 hawk? not sure which years fit,,, maybe someone could help me out with some info....thanks guys

TX Rebel
09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
57 is the only year which will fit exc for Packard Hawk
I have a good one w/auto column available I just pulled last week.

PackardV8
09-10-2010, 06:19 PM
I have a complete '56 box which came from a running car. Just for our info, what are the specific differences between '56 and '57?

jack vines

N8N
09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I thought all 55-57 were the same. I have one that needs a new pitman seal at least but it was working well otherwise when I pulled it out of my '55 coupe. I packed it with grease to at least provide it with some lube, now I have a rebuilt one that needs to go in. (the one in it now held oil but I think it has a busted spring as it's very darty and wandery. I'd consider that one a candidate for a full rebuild before using it again. I thought I might get lucky and find one that was completely good to go, but not so much.)

nate

leyrret
09-11-2010, 08:37 AM
That Saginaw box was used from 53-59 but not exclusively all years. I've have had several apart and have yet to discover any difference in them.

go-studebaker
09-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi christineman
I have a complete set up here in the UK, but that is not a good location for you

The boxes are the same but I think the coupe steering colum shafts differ depending on the steering wheel used. The change would be at the 56/57 model year when they went to a different spline and shaft diameter.

You need a Hawk setup top get all the right parts. It is the best power steering Studebaker ever made

Regards
Greg Diffen

TX Rebel
09-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes, that is correct. The boxes are the same but mounting brackets, columns & shafts are different. Only a '57 c/k or K9 unit will fit a 57 Hawk.
As rare as a good unit is I was surprised that anyone would expect to get a good complete unit dirt cheap.

PackardV8
09-12-2010, 11:31 AM
As rare as a good unit is I was surprised that anyone would expect to get a good complete unit dirt cheap. So what is the market price for a complete, ready-to-bolt-in-and-drive PS?

Back in the day, before all the '56 GH steering wheels crumbled to dust, I swapped a '56 into a '57. Wasn't too much work, IIRC. The '57 columns are a bit shorter, due to the increased dish in the steering wheel. correct?

jack vines