DMV Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMV Disaster

Like many states, NC is one of those places where the DMV has to come out and inspect an old car from out of state before you can get a NC title. I have been trying to get the guy out here for 3 weeks. Well he finally came out yesterday.

I work about an hour from home. The guy called Tuesday morning and said he would be at my house at around 1:00pm. I left the car outside so he could get the photos he needed. When he called we talked a little about what he would have to do. He said all he had to do was take a few photos and inspect the S/N plate on the door jamb. Several times I offered to meet him there, but he assured me it wasn't necessary and that he would only be there 10 or 15 minutes. Well I decided not to burn the extra gas and stayed at work.

When I got home I went out to move the car (61 Hawk) back into the shop. I noticed the hood was not latched. I tried to close it and it wouldn't go down. I tried to open it and I couldn't lift it. Once I got it in the shop I got the lights out and looked in there. The moving arm of the latch was bent forward and the hood pin and spring were down through the hole in that moving arm. The thing was jammed in there pretty good and I couldn't get the hood back up. I then started looking it over in a little more detail and noticed that both corners of my hood are now bent.

I was pretty pissed that the guy didn't call me yesterday and tell me what happened. So I called today and he finally called me back and was acting like nothing happened until I started questioning him directly about the hood. He did fess up and admitted that he was trying to hold the hood up with one hand while he was looking around under there and dropped the hood. (don't know why he didn't use the prop rod.) When I asked about opening the hood he commented on how hard it was to lift so I explained about having to pull it forward while lifting and that he bent the hood by not doing that.

He seemed to be a straight up guy and offered to pay for damages. I got the hood open tonight and the latch was trashed. Everything about it was bent at some odd angle. Luckily my parts car had a good latch so I pulled it and put it on the car.

Now I have to decide if I am going to ask this guy for any damages. I have no idea what that used latch was worth. I also don't know how to put a value on repairing the corners of the hood where it is bent. I know the stiffeners are about $45 but I have no idea how many hours it will take.

Any advice or suggestions.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Originally posted by wdills View Post
    Like many states, NC is one of those places where the DMV has to come out and inspect an old car from out of state before you can get a NC title. I have been trying to get the guy out here for 3 weeks. Well he finally came out yesterday.

I work about an hour from home. The guy called Tuesday morning and said he would be at my house at around 1:00pm. I left the car outside so he could get the photos he needed. When he called we talked a little about what he would have to do. He said all he had to do was take a few photos and inspect the S/N plate on the door jamb. Several times I offered to meet him there, but he assured me it wasn't necessary and that he would only be there 10 or 15 minutes. Well I decided not to burn the extra gas and stayed at work.

When I got home I went out to move the car (61 Hawk) back into the shop. I noticed the hood was not latched. I tried to close it and it wouldn't go down. I tried to open it and I couldn't lift it. Once I got it in the shop I got the lights out and looked in there. The moving arm of the latch was bent forward and the hood pin and spring were down through the hole in that moving arm. The thing was jammed in there pretty good and I couldn't get the hood back up. I then started looking it over in a little more detail and noticed that both corners of my hood are now bent.

I was pretty pissed that the guy didn't call me yesterday and tell me what happened. So I called today and he finally called me back and was acting like nothing happened until I started questioning him directly about the hood. He did fess up and admitted that he was trying to hold the hood up with one hand while he was looking around under there and dropped the hood. (don't know why he didn't use the prop rod.) When I asked about opening the hood he commented on how hard it was to lift so I explained about having to pull it forward while lifting and that he bent the hood by not doing that.

He seemed to be a straight up guy and offered to pay for damages. I got the hood open tonight and the latch was trashed. Everything about it was bent at some odd angle. Luckily my parts car had a good latch so I pulled it and put it on the car.

Now I have to decide if I am going to ask this guy for any damages. I have no idea what that used latch was worth. I also don't know how to put a value on repairing the corners of the hood where it is bent. I know the stiffeners are about $45 but I have no idea how many hours it will take.

Any advice or suggestions.

Thanks
    Wayne

If you will be dealing with them on lost titles, non titles, out of state titles, etc.. in the future eat your losses. Unless they have changed in the last 10 years or so there is a good chance you will deal with that same inspector again and believe me they DO hold a grudge. Thats free advice and may be over-priced but comes from expirience....Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Wow! Even I am angry at that guy! Why was he looking under the hood? I would guess that repairing the back corners of the hood would be difficult and very time consuming. I dont know what I would do. I feel that he should compensate you for his mishandling of your property and for lying about it at first. Accidents happen, but he should not have lied about it. Send him a bill and teach him a lesson. Good luck with your decision.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'm baffled that the guy didn't want you there. Usually the state agency wants to avoid any liability for damages to the vehicle, so they'll insist that the owner be there.

I work for the DMV in another state, and I (and my staff) regularly handle calls from legislators (state and federal Representatives/Senators) regarding complaints from citizens who have been (of believe that they have been) wronged by a state agency.

I'd recommend that you send a courteously worded letter/e-mail to the guy to give him an opportunity to make good on his promise to cover the damage. Estimate the damages (parts and labor) reasonably, but realistically so that you don't get shafted.

If he fails to respond favorably, move on up the chain of command (to the Department Director if necessary).

If that still doesn't work, then forward a detailed summary of your contacts to your state Representative and Senator. I can't promise that it will work, but sometimes that little extra pressure and scrutiny is enough.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
        Matt Connor
        ~Matt Connor
        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

North Carolina's DMV has gotten really strange over the last few years. As much as I would like to see you hold the inspector's feet to the fire, I also understand what Steve is saying as well. I really think you should take the guy up on his offer to reimburse you for your damages. He may be willing to pay it right out of his own pocket. If he does, thank him and let it drop right there. If not you could contact his superior and lay it all out on the table.

The next question is, did you get approval to get a title? After all your trouble I hope so.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I live in NC and the fact is our state govt is as screwed up as a football bat. These old car inspections are just another bs inconvenience, like the yearly $30 vehicle inspection/smog test. Heaven Forbid your "check engine" light ever comes on. They'll demand you spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to get it corrected. And, the simple facts are you go right across the state line into SC and NO yearly inspections whatsoever are required. Think our air's cleaner??? Yes, I'd stick it to 'em. Get a estimate of parts from Jon Myer or another vendor and have a body shop write you an estimate. Then submit it for reimbursement. The state's got plenty of $$$. And don't worry about future payback. Next time just call another agency in a different location. For example; I live in Lincoln County, but got one of the inspectors (there were 6 in the office) from nearby Catawba County to come inspect my Avanti while I was in Hickory. It's a good thing I was there too, cause he opened the driver's side door and told me my vehicle ID tag was missing. I had to explain that fiberglass cars didn't have them in the door jam and proceeded to show him the number on the frame under the hood. Another inspector from Iredell County offered to drive out to my house if I wanted him too. Apparently these guys don't have a whole lot to do. When I give up engineering, that's the type of job I'd cherish. Imagine getting paid to look at classic cars.
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

isn't that kinda like leaving the scene of a property damage accident? or vandalism? That should be a crime what he did. Get a nice high repair invoice, and make them (managment/insurer of DMV, not the inspector himself) pay.
              Last edited by gohdes; 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Oh yes, they owe you--but there are politically cautious ways to proceed without seeming a troublesome crusader. Here's a possibility:

Are you on good terms with your insurance agent? He might write a letter to a mid-level manager in that administration, showing an estimate that he purports may be submitted by you for insurance coverage (this is where the "good terms" part comes in). He could point out that you "don't want to get anybody in trouble," which will get you an eye-roll, but careful consideration. And since the insurance company at the regional or national level is almost certain to subrogate the claim, perhaps the Deparment would like to consider settling this is a more gentlemanly fashion.

This way, you are spared a face-to-face confrontation with the inspector, have at least a show of good will, and don't appear to be threatening legal action (or tar and feathers, which is what I would be fuming about if I were in your shoes right now). It's still polite and businesslike, which can't hurt. Of course, if you've "named your price" on insurance and deal only with a faceless corporate entity via e-mail and the billing cycle, you're S.O.L., but my experience is that most classic-car agencies like to "think locally" and might co-operate in a creative approach.

IIRC about government employee liability, if the guy was following accepted procedure, the debt belongs to the agency. If he was not, the agency acts as insurer and its agent can be disciplined. Unless he's a sub-contractor in this service, the actual monetary layout is not his to pay. Attempting to get a payment from him under the table to hush the matter up could be viewed as a form of corruption. So I wouldn't do that.

Comment

Get at least one, preferably three written estimates from body shops. Your "guesstimate" will possibly start an argument.

Comment

I would go out and have everything professionally quoted for repair and have him or the DNV pay for it. What an idiot. I live in MN. I bought a 58 Packard 10 years ago in CO. This year I finally decided to get the title in my name and get it plated. I couldn't find the original title and the guy who sold it to me was now dead. I only could find the bill of sale. I went in with a statement of facts, the bill of sale and a pic of each side of the car. They said that they would research and advise and that if they needed any additional info, they would call. Four weeks later I got the clean title, registration and plates in the mail. I could not believe how well it went. Sorry to hear about your mess.

Comment

Handle the situation with the inspector and the damages as you best see fit, but here in Indiana, the State Police handle out of state title and antique vehicle inspections. The two or three I've had done, the officers have been friendly, cordial, and overly respectful to you, and really seem to enjoy having old car duty as part of their job. One came out to my house an hour after I called, and the couple other times I took the car to the Police Post and had a nice visit with the guys on duty there.

Probably stand as much chance of making the inspector mad, but the car clubs in NC should mount an effort to lobby state government for elimination of the position this guy has, and then turning those responsibilities over to the Police. Still might run into a bad apple, but the police have so many other responsibilities that require direct dealings with the public, you probably won't get a complete idiot like this.

Comment

Get an honest estimate, present it to the officer, get the car fixed, move on.
                        He should have been more careful and you should have been there.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                        X