PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Parts Repro folks: Oil Breathers

showbizkid
09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't want this to come off as a rant, but it strikes me that the Stude oil filler / breather caps should be available in a finish other than chrome.

I just completed re-finishing of a couple old used breather caps for Barney. It wasn't tough work, but I would have liked to be able to put new, clean caps on the car instead of 40-year-old ones with all kinds of crud inside that won't come out no matter how much kerosene you run through it.

The chromed caps are available for JT-powered cars, but there were lots more normal engines sold than JTs from 1951 - 1964. Shouldn't these be available in painted form, too? Seems to me that Stude Vendors might sell a lot more of these than they do now, if they were available in paint rather than chrome.

Just my .02 worth :)

63t-cab
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Clark,(what you said) guess they would just need to forget to chrome all of them??? I was able to find two n.o.s. painted caps for my new engine!

studegary
09-08-2010, 04:46 PM
I think that the chrome ones are stock from another brand. That is why they are available. They are not really Studebaker reproductions.

studegary
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Why not just paint a chrome one, after scuffing it up a bit, in any color that you like?

Retired
09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Soak the caps in lacquer thinner for a couple of days. Protect your self, blow with compressed air. If stll cruddy, soak some more.

31Streetrod
09-08-2010, 04:56 PM
The non chromed breather caps in question are nothing more than 50's thru 60's GM AC Delco breather caps that were on all of the Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac and yes, Cadillacs. Any parts house for the above marque will have them. Studebaker didn't try to re-invent the wheel, they went with what was already on the shelf.

showbizkid
09-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Well now, that's interesting info!

I went over to Rock Auto and looked up the breather cap for a '63 Chevy with 327, and here's what it showed me: Stant #10061, which does indeed bear a striking resemblance to the Stude widget. $2.95. Still chromed, but I'd feel a lot better about scuffing the plating off a $3 part than I would a $30 part :D

Milaca
09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't see the word 'Oil' stamped in the part in Clark's picture nor do I see a rivet head, as it looks smooth. Just depends how picky you are about originality. Perhaps there are other manufacturers of these that more closely resemble the Studebaker part?

JDP
09-08-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't see the word 'Oil' stamped in the part in Clark's picture nor do I see a rivet head, as it looks smooth. Just depends how picky you are about originality. Perhaps there are other manufacturers of these that more closely resemble the Studebaker part?

The NOS GM is close, but has the AC logo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-Olds-59-Super-88-98-NOS-AC-Oil-Filler-Breather-Cap-/180558311770?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0a1d315a

Bud
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
NAPA has a breather cap that is identical to the Stant 10061 that is cad plated and not chrome which should make it paintable. I use them on my cars, while not correct for show cars, they have a better filter element in them. Bud

jclary
09-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Aw shucks folks!...where's your CASO spirit?...Just save your old Beanie-Weanie cans and make your own!:cool::cool::cool:

Nelsen Motorsports
09-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Aw shucks folks!...where's your CASO spirit?...Just save your old Beanie-Weanie cans and make your own!:cool::cool::cool:

I likee!!!

Milaca
09-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I was looking for one of those with OIL stamped on it, but all I could find were 710.

That's very peculiar Dave. Do you by chance fill your engine with 7IO M0E? :)

kurtruk
09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
That's very peculiar Dave. Do you by chance fill your engine with 7IO M0E? :)

According to The Cooperator he should be using 710 773HS

Welcome
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
According to The Cooperator he should be using 710 773HS

And if you read 7IO upside down what does it spell??? It's a joke ...get it???;)

comatus
09-08-2010, 09:49 PM
And if you read 773HS upside down, what does that spell?

Welcome
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
and if you read 773hs upside down, what does that spell?

" rotella " ???;)

gohdes
09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I am looking for a chrome breather cap for a 60 lark (breathers on bottom, no side outlet - like the ones that go on the valve covers) if someone wants to sell me one!

stratovue
09-09-2010, 07:08 PM
The reason we make the caps in chrome and not painted is that no one has ever asked for them painted. We do listen to what our customers are asking for and whenever possible we pursue. The painted caps would be easy to make since we already own the tooling and yes, Gary, we do actually have them made just for Studebaker.

Ed Reynolds
Studebaker International

63t-cab
09-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Eric,I should have one here I'll sell you. email : jzeiger3@yahoo.com

Chad Huth
09-09-2010, 07:38 PM
It's a bit pricey, but look here.

http://www.steinertractor.com/JDS500-oil-fill-breather-cap-wclip

I'm sure you could find it from other suppliers as well.

jclary
09-09-2010, 07:46 PM
The reason we make the caps in chrome and not painted is that no one has ever asked for them painted. We do listen to what our customers are asking for and whenever possible we pursue. The painted caps would be easy to make since we already own the tooling and yes, Gary, we do actually have them made just for Studebaker.

Ed Reynolds
Studebaker International

Hey Ed,
You could simply produce a few in plain unpainted steel. Just ship them in a plastic bag with a little spritz of rust inhibitor. Then the customers can paint them pink, purple, blue, black, or spend extra money on chrome. You get the benefit of not having the cost of finishing.:)

Next will come the thread titled..."why can't I get a chrome oil cap?":mad:

bezhawk
09-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Do you have them available to fit an R3 (larger hole same as six cylinder cars) in chrome??

Milaca
09-09-2010, 09:08 PM
I'd like to see them offered in original orange colored powder coat, so that the finish lasts a long time. How much might this cost? If someone wanted a different non-authentic color, they could scuff the finish and repaint.

showbizkid
09-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Hey Ed - I'm amazed no one's ever brought it up before! Seems like a natural though, especially since the tooling's already done.

By the way, there's no criticism implied or stated in my original post... hope it didn't come off like that. Just a "wonder why" :)

studegary
09-11-2010, 02:20 PM

Ed Reynolds
Studebaker International

Ed- Thanks for correcting this misinformation that I had received.