Windlace modification help-57 Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windlace modification help-57 Silver Hawk

I know the windlace must have a 1" extension added to reach the clamps.
    S.I sells the kind that has the extension but only in red or black. I bought the tan
    color that needs addition of material. Ray-Lin site describes use of starched denim.
    Have any of you installed windlace with another solution ?
    Thanks,
    Dick Curtis
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

I bought windlace from an outfit in Oregon, It was not quite long enough, it would pull out of the clamps. I applied a spot of trim adhesive to each clamp and installed the windlace. After the adhesive had cured, the windlace stayed in place. You gotta be patient, though. Give it a day or two before putting a load on it.

Comment

In my '65 Wagonaire, I got some of the reproduction seam welt with a rib and sewed it to some windlace. The clips can grab the rib in the welt. I have an old domestic not commecial) Singer sewing machine that was able to deal with plasic welt and windlace. Buy an old machine at a yard sale, don't use your significant other's good machine.

On the other hand, since the attaching strip is always hidden behind other trim, why not just put a bunch of sheet metal screws with washers through it? That worked fine in my M5.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thank you Tom and Gary for the suggestions. Gary's idea for metal screws got me thinking maybe pop rivets.
        I'll check out if there is clearance for 1/4" rivets.
        ...Dick Curtis
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

Working...
        X