PDA

View Full Version : Different by Design...

AnAvanti4Bob
09-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Howdy to my fellow "Bobs" and thanks for the warm welcome to my inquiry about buying a Studebaker. Your information and encouragement was most illuminationg - especially the info about removing the fins on the 1957-61 Hawks - very interesting!

As i mentioned in my previous post, I am mainly driven in collector car selection by design, which is hardly an objective pursuit for any of us. Adding to that element is a little bit of nostalgia for the orphans cars I grew up with and the willingness to move beyond the thought of the 1957 Chevy as an "icon" (the 1956 is better looking anyway, IMHO). Luxury cars, even though great for cruising our American highways never were involving enough to drive and too isolating for my taste. The sound of the engine is a deciding factor (hence my love for Corvairs and the sound of a flat six) - recently, though, I hanker for the rumble of a dual exhaust Stude V8. I know that we all have preferences and I believe that some think Larks look perfect :D. So a question: What criteria drive you to want particular Studebaker(s) or other collector cars you may own?

Anyway, that got me to thinking and looking through the Crestline (Moloney) book on Studebaker Cars. I picked out a number of Studebakers through the years that I consider to be particularly well-designed and that captured my attention. So even though some on the list are the "usual suspects," there are a lot of others that could be added, but here is my short list for your consideration.

1932-33 St. Regis Broughams
1934-35 Studebaker Land Cruisers
1936-37 Studebaker coupes
1938-40 Studebaker full-sized Club sedans
1941 Studebaker Skyway sedan coupe and Land Cruiser
1950-51 Bullet noses
1953-54 Commander Starliner
1956 Studebaker Sky Hawk
1962-64 GT Hawk
1963-64 Studebaker Avanti

2R5
09-07-2010, 09:18 AM
It depends alot on if your looking for "looks" or you plan on driving your Studebaker .
Personally I like driving my Studes so this has alot to do which ones I want .

showbizkid
09-07-2010, 07:06 PM
No Larks on the list? Sir, I am outraged! :)

Milaca
09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I am a bit surprised that the 1955 Studebaker Speedster is not on your list as it is very sleek and sporty (both inside & out). My favorite is the 1956 Golden Hawk (looks like a Sky Hawk, but a little more 'bling' added to it) as it looks amazing with its two-toned paint and has a lot of power. The 1958 Packard (rebadged Studebaker) two-door hardtop is both a bit unusual and beautiful to my eyes. Although not the most beautiful Studebaker, I really like the 1963 Lark Daytona hardtop and convertible models as they are very unique, especially when they are well optioned. Let me also add some 4-door cars, the 1963 Cruiser (advertised as a Limosette) and the 1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire (with the rear sliding roof). I can't explain why I like these last two mentioned, I guess that sometimes there are no words for what one feels. :)

rockne10
09-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Here's a '63 Cruiser that I photoshoped in to an open town car. Leonard added the chauffeur.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/?action=view&current=63LarkLimowithdriver.jpg

mausersmth
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Like any list of this type, you hit some favorites of mine, and missed others...
The '50-'51 nose is unmistakable! No wonder Fozzie Bear had a '51 Commander!
The '56 Hawks, Sky or Golden Hawk hardtops or Flight and Power Hawk coupes, before the fins sprouted.
Missing are a few of my favorites: the '63-'66 Wagonaires, the Lark Daytonas and Cruisers, and the Transtar trucks.
But then this is YOUR list, not mine...

AnAvanti4Bob
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
No Larks on the list? Sir, I am outraged! :)

Ahh, but I did mention Larks when I wrote: "I know that we all have preferences and I believe that some think Larks look perfect ." Apparently you are of that persuasion and I mean no disrespect, but I have had 6 Corvairs so I am well used to outrage. I am happy you love Larks. Cheers, right back attacha - Bob

AnAvanti4Bob
09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I am a bit surprised that the 1955 Studebaker Speedster is not on your list as it is very sleek and sporty (both inside & out). My favorite is the 1956 Golden Hawk (looks like a Sky Hawk, but a little more 'bling' added to it) as it looks amazing with its two-toned paint and has a lot of power....Let me also add some 4-door cars, the 1963 Cruiser (advertised as a Limosette) and the 1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire (with the rear sliding roof). I can't explain why I like these last two mentioned, I guess that sometimes there are no words for what one feels. :)

And so it goes: The Speedster is one of my favorite Studes - love the color palette - but I can't get past that abominable grill which was such departure from the minimalistic 1953-54 front. The Lark Wagonaire would definitely be on my short list if I was looking for a wagon. You put it well: sometimes there are no words...