Tinkering with the Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinkering with the Cruiser

I'm starting to get serious about learning to fix the Cruiser myself, and have spent some time over the last two days fixing some odds and ends.

The air cleaner finally has it's decal, I found that my Stromberg WW I had rebuilt last year was coming apart! Took it off and tightened the screws that hold the base to the body and set it back. Ran the wire for my new electric pump, but couldn't find a drill to mount the pump, so the wire is tied up, waiting until it's needed. Set the radial tires to 35 lbs.

Connected the tach to the coil and the vacuum gauge to the manifold, adjusted the idle mixture screws to max vacuum at 750-800 rpm, then did the same for timing. Set hot idle at about 700-750 rpm. Then came the test drive...

OMG! The car runs like a scalded dog! Before, it would stumble coming off idle, ran rough, the tranny would clank when I shifted into gear, now the tranny is silent when shifted, it idles nice and smooth at stops, and no stumble, just power when I hit the gas!

And I didn't have to pay a mechanic a dime!

Sounds like you had a good day. Those are the kind that make this hobby FUN....

Comment

It IS fun!
      I still have a long list of projects, but I'm moving more of them into the DIY column...
      Exhaust is hanging low, electric pump is still not installed, steering has some play, and there are fluid leaks of EVERY kind!
      I want to drive her to South Bend. I think I'll have all the bugs out by then...

Comment

"runs like a scalded dog." You cracked me up!

Comment

Went for a couple longer drives, and I did have the engine stall out after I was parked for 10-15 minutes. It started back up easy enough. Think it was a mild vapor lock, as I have had a LOT of trouble this summer with it. (It's why I'm changing to an electric pump.)

Other then that, she took off down the highway like the vintage muscle car she thinks she is! (Sorry, no R2 package car, just a 289 2bbl.) Might not have the style of a Hawk, or the sleekness of an Avanti, but she's mine, and I'm proud of the old girl! (She'll be 47 on Sept. 9th!)

Now what's the next job?

Comment

Working...
          X