I'm so tired of listening to Studebaker storys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so tired of listening to Studebaker storys

I got the biggest kick out of this, Anne, David, Regina and myself attended the Tower car show last Saturday, this 1955 Chevy Suburban squeezed in at the last min next to us, in an area too small for his mammoth size blocking the view of our beautiful Studebakers, we all went for a walk to check out the cars and have lunch, well one and half to two hr's later we return to our chairs behind our cars, the Suburban guy had been there all this time by him self, the only one within ear shot of our Studes, as we sit down he says "I'm so glad your back, I'm so tired of listening to Studebaker stories" Any one who has taken there Stude to a car show or to the market on a 10 min trip that turns out to be 30 to 40 min. because of all the attention they get plus the pleasure they give. I still Laugh out loud when I think of Suburban guy enduring 2 hrs of Stude stories in our absence

"Red" 1951 Champion, Starlight
    "project car" 51 Champion

I heard one yesterday I have never heard. I have a fellow SDC members 49 parked at the shop and guy pulls up say. "that a STUDEBAKER"? After I confirm that yes its a Stude, he tells me a story of his brother in law who drove Taxis in Chicago that just loved the Studes because he could shift at low speed from 1st to reverse, I never heard that version. Not sure what years but I'm gonna assume post war, I'll bet he like them because of the freewheeling and the lack of the need to clutch, but I didn't argue I just agreed and say'd the ole standby "yeah they were ahead of their time" []

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)

Comment

I heard one yesterday I have never heard. I have a fellow SDC members 49 parked at the shop and guy pulls up say. "that a STUDEBAKER"? After I confirm that yes its a Stude, he tells me a story of his brother in law who drove Taxis in Chicago that just loved the Studes because he could shift at low speed from 1st to reverse, I never heard that version. Not sure what years but I'm gonna assume post war, I'll bet he like them because of the freewheeling and the lack of the need to clutch, but I didn't argue I just agreed and say'd the ole standby "yeah they were ahead of their time" []

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)

Comment

In my 14 months of Studebaker oownership I'm beginning to hear them all about my Avanti..."Is it a Jaguar?", "Made in Canada?", "Were they all fiberglass?", "Ford 289?"....but a couple of weekends ago I finally heard something that others have reported here often...

"What's a Studebaker...a Ford, Chrysler?" The guy was about 40 years old, never even heard of a Stude.
        I explained they started making cars in 1902 and quit in 1966. He just stared.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

In my 14 months of Studebaker oownership I'm beginning to hear them all about my Avanti..."Is it a Jaguar?", "Made in Canada?", "Were they all fiberglass?", "Ford 289?"....but a couple of weekends ago I finally heard something that others have reported here often...

"What's a Studebaker...a Ford, Chrysler?" The guy was about 40 years old, never even heard of a Stude.
          I explained they started making cars in 1902 and quit in 1966. He just stared.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It does get a little tiring correcting the miss-information though, especially when the informant is so adamant about the "turbocharged Ford 289 powered Avantis still made in Canada". What was REALLY disturbing though, was all the nonsense I got from the OWNER of a GT Hawk I ran into recently, including the "24 aluminum V12 powered Packards made in 1965". Sometimes you just have to smile and nod your head.

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1937 Dictator Streetrod
            1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
            1953 Commander Convertible
            1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
            1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

It does get a little tiring correcting the miss-information though, especially when the informant is so adamant about the "turbocharged Ford 289 powered Avantis still made in Canada". What was REALLY disturbing though, was all the nonsense I got from the OWNER of a GT Hawk I ran into recently, including the "24 aluminum V12 powered Packards made in 1965". Sometimes you just have to smile and nod your head.

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1937 Dictator Streetrod
              1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
              1953 Commander Convertible
              1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

You mean they didn't build 24 Packard aluminum v12's? Who knew?

Comment

You mean they didn't build 24 Packard aluminum v12's? Who knew?

Comment

Didn't ya know that Rambler made the Larks also? Finally had to just leave cause the guy was such an idiot.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
                    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Comment

Didn't ya know that Rambler made the Larks also? Finally had to just leave cause the guy was such an idiot.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
                      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Comment

First question to me at the Cruise Inns and shows....."Is that a Golden Hawk" ?.......I usually tell them ......"no it's black" !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                        (formerly chevpartsman)
                        1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                        Lewisville,NC

Comment

First question to me at the Cruise Inns and shows....."Is that a Golden Hawk" ?.......I usually tell them ......"no it's black" !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                          (formerly chevpartsman)
                          1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                          Lewisville,NC

Comment

No one here has heard about the few special steel bodied Avantis they made? I'll bet they rusted quick!

Tim K.
                            '64 R2 GT Hawk
                            Tim K.
                            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

No one here has heard about the few special steel bodied Avantis they made? I'll bet they rusted quick!

Tim K.
                              '64 R2 GT Hawk
                              Tim K.
                              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X