58 Hawk Park Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Hawk Park Light

I would love to see a picture of the park/signal lights used on a 58 Hawk.
    Thanks
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

They look like the ones on the '57, sitting atop the front fenders, except they have horizontal fins (wings) on the housing. I ought to have a pair, dunno how good they are.

Get hold of Craig Parslow (8E45E). I'm all but certain he will have some very professional pics of them.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hi Gord that is what I thought too. But yesterday I looked at a 58 hawk Tag #58B. It had no holes atop the fenders and had the park lights mounted down in the grill openings. The lights themselves were the coolest things. Had wings on the sides???? Not plain like the "guide" ones on Sandi's 61 Hawk. That is why I wanted pictures... as I googled 58 Studebaker images and only saw pictures as you have suggested.
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Since "park/signal lights" are on both front and rear and using Gord's description of a '58, here are some. Sorry, I had to blow them up. Hope this is correct:

Here's sort of a shot of the difference from '57s:

'57

Last edited by barnlark; 09-02-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

A Parking Light is a parking light, is a Parking Light! They are not in the rear! Those would be Tail Lights.

What would you call them when they light with the Head Lights? Rear Head Lights? Lol!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My parking lights light up in the rear when my headlights are off, so at that point they are all then parking lights. The tail lights aren't separate. That's why they check all the lights at the meets when they ask you to turn on your parking lights. When they blink a little bit they are turn signals, not just tail lights, or blinking parking lights. Are they turn signal housings, or parking light housings up there? They are actually both, but the parts book doesn't waste time on that! <GGG> Alas, no good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Yeah, I could run with my tail lights in the parking light position. However, despite the fact that people can still see me from the back because of the taillights, despite being able to see well in darkness, I have troubles seeing with all of a couple feet over the end of my hood with the Parking lights on, at 55 mph mind you. So therefore, they are parking lights when they are in the parking light position, taillights when the headlights are on, brake lights when the brake pedal is pushed, and turn signals when the blinker is flipped.
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Exactly! Heh heh. Next time someone yells, "hey dummy...you left your parking lights on," I'll remind them that they're tail lights if I can run faster. Nobody ever told me that I left my tail lights on. That may start up the old, it's a lamp, not a light... or a lens topic, though. <GGG> Not being a fifties Hawk owner I at least learned which housing on the fender is for a '58. Hope the pics helped. There can't be many of those '58 versions out there.

Comment

Okay now that you guys have had some fun with this thread, The park lights (FRONT) that I saw were the ones pictured on top of the fenders withe the cool wings on them, but no tail. Hard to tell from the picture if the tail was a separate part?? BUT! the one I saw was not mounted on top of the fender! It was in the grill opening and there were no holes in the top of the fender. This looked like an original car that had never been modified or painted. That is why I asked the question.
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Sorry, Brian, just havin' fun with silly semantics last night. We all know what parking light housings are. I don't have a close up shot of those parking light housings from the driver's viewpoint. If I remember, they were just mounted on a bracket similar to a side mirror and didn't have a tail, they may have been round behind the wings. Your subject car sounds nicely modified to a previous owner's taste to appear stock, but I sure am not the one to confirm that. Proper Hawk aficionados will know that answer. Have fun at the meet.

Comment

The 58 park light (front) housings the base and bulb area are one piece. (Just like 56 and 57) The 'bulb' area was modified in 58 to accept the 'wings' The side of the housing has a groove cast in and the 'wing' slides in from the back side.
                      The wings can be removed by removing the lens and then the bulb socket and then behind that is a single screw that holds the wing on.
                      Packard Hawks had the wing gold plated. The rest were chrome.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                        BUT! the one I saw was not mounted on top of the fender! It was in the grill opening and there were no holes in the top of the fender.
                        Brian
                        You mean like where Studebaker should of put them in the first place?? I remember when I was a kid my father would say those Hawk lights up on the fenders always looked like 'zits on an elephant's arse'...whatever that meant. Junior

'
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          The 58 park light (front) housings the base and bulb area are one piece.
                          That is one complete casting? It doesn't come apart in two pieces other than for the wings? I would have never guessed that looking at it. Looks like it would bolt together from underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                            That is one complete casting? It doesn't come apart in two pieces other than for the wings? I would have never guessed that looking at it. Looks like it would bolt together from underneath.
                            Not unless it is broken! I have had many apart.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                            X