PDA

View Full Version : Is this a R3 Avanti

kmul221
09-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Today looked at a 64 Avanti,has been owned for 35yrs by one owner.Its in a crowded garage & owner purchased it in California drove it home & there it has sat for 35 yrs..Has a blower & 4bbl. carb with R3 on carb cover.He claims it was in 1st 4 sent to Granatelli in Calif. for experimentation & vin # is on frame top under blower motor.I did not have a light & couldnt see it but he said it was 5650.Does this ring true ? if so I have some photo's & will follow with more info

StudeRich
09-02-2010, 12:27 AM
You would need the Engine Number to be sure, as engines get changed, R3 parts get put on R2's etc. etc.

JDP
09-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Today looked at a 64 Avanti,has been owned for 35yrs by one owner.Its in a crowded garage & owner purchased it in California drove it home & there it has sat for 35 yrs..Has a blower & 4bbl. carb with R3 on carb cover.He claims it was in 1st 4 sent to Granatelli in Calif. for experimentation & vin # is on frame top under blower motor.I did not have a light & couldnt see it but he said it was 5650.Does this ring true ? if so I have some photo's & will follow with more info

Here is a list of the nine production R3 Avanti's. Serial

Number Color Transmission
R-5089 Turquoise 4-speed
R-5237 Black 4-speed
R-5394 White 4-speed
R-5532 Turquoise 4-speed
R-5546 Gold 4-speed
R-5593 Gray Automatic
R-5625 Black Automatic
R-5642 White Automatic
R-5643 White Automatic

StudeRich
09-02-2010, 12:44 AM
OK so we know it was not a original FACTORY R3, but it sure could be a Paxton, Dealer or other installed R3 Engine. Thanks for narrowing it down JDP. Hopefully someone will know about R5650, OR we'll get the Engine Number so we know what it is.

What, no Red ones? That Avanti Red (Corvette Honduras Maroon Metallic) is the ONLY Color an Avanti should be![

sbca96
09-02-2010, 02:02 AM
What, no Red ones? That Avanti Red (Corvette Honduras Maroon Metallic) is the ONLY Color an Avanti should be![[/COLOR][/B]

Well dammit! Now you tell me, I better get out there and start painting mine!!

Tom

Gunslinger
09-02-2010, 07:25 AM
If 5650 is the actual VIN, then the car should be one of the original prototypes. If so, it is plausible it could have been sent to Paxton for testing and could have had a variety of engine combinations installed. Without documentation or other provenance, then it's just a nice story. If it's a genuine R3 installed, that certainly gives it some value, but no more without proof of a real Granatelli connection.

kmul221
09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
I have emailed owner to verify VIN,he said it was red when he got it,odometer shows 36K,underneath,hog troughs,frame look new.Auto trans & tilt steering,needs restoration,no rust,interior good but lots of mildew,he has new short blk. bumper & various parts that go with the car.I asked him for a value as he said he wants to sell,he will get back to me,any idea of value based on what is known? I took a few photo's will post when I get home next week.

JDP
09-02-2010, 09:25 AM
OK so we know it was not a original FACTORY R3, but it sure could be a Paxton, Dealer or other installed R3 Engine. Thanks for narrowing it down JDP. Hopefully someone will know about R5650, OR we'll get the Engine Number so we know what it is.

What, no Red ones? That Avanti Red (Corvette Honduras Maroon Metallic) is the ONLY Color an Avanti should be![

Sorry, I thought we had talked about this car several times. I have the build sheet. It's posted here:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/avdb/R5000/64R5650/ex2947.html

herbpcpa
09-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Has another of the Factory Engineering Department mules surfaced?

(64R5653 is to be sold at auction Sept 10)

Information from Bob’s Studebaker Resource Web Site

(Last Regular Production Avantis: R-5642 & R-5643)

EX 2944 R-5651
4 speed Supercharged
Gray with Red Interior

EX 2945 R-5652
4 Speed Supercharged
White with red Interior

EX 2946 R-5653
Automatic Air Conditioning
Gold with Red Interior

EX 2947 63 R 5650
Automatic Supercharger
Red with Black Interior

EX 2942 “Due Cento”

EX 2143 63 R 1006

(Is there a typo here? Should it be EX2943?)

kmul221
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM
A bit of info from the present owner,is it worth more than a run of the mill Avanti ? I don't know how to post photo's if one of you could email me I will send photo's I have & U could post

The car is experimental, and spent time at Paxton Engineering. The engine number prefix is A which was used on two or three early versions of 299ci. R3 engines. Production engines were 304ci with a B prefix in order to qualify just under the 5L limit for setting any racing records should they so desire. One of the other three cars was campaigned exclusively at the Salt Flats where they set many land speed records. I used to have a publicity photo of my car on a race track

JDP
09-02-2010, 05:02 PM
A bit of info from the present owner,is it worth more than a run of the mill Avanti ? I don't know how to post photo's if one of you could email me I will send photo's I have & U could post

The car is experimental, and spent time at Paxton Engineering. The engine number prefix is A which was used on two or three early versions of 299ci. R3 engines. Production engines were 304ci with a B prefix in order to qualify just under the 5L limit for setting any racing records should they so desire. One of the other three cars was campaigned exclusively at the Salt Flats where they set many land speed records. I used to have a publicity photo of my car on a race track

So we have to assume the car was built it early 62, sent to Paxton In California, for 2 years, converted to R3 from a R2 EX2132 engine, raced, than back to South Bend two years later to be converted back to a R2 with the orginal EX2132 engine, and 64 specs and sold new ? I guess anything is possible, but I'd need proof.

It seems more likly that R5650 was a early 62 mule that they decided to update to 64 specs in South Bend and sell very late. I could be wrong of course.

herbpcpa
09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
It seems more likly that R5650 was a early 62 mule that they decided to update to 64 specs in South Bend and sell very late.

With the R3 engine installed by the new owner? Sounds reasonable.
Who were buying these "mules" after Studebaker shut down? Were they being bought by insiders with some connection to Studebaker or Paxton?
How did a person go about aquiring an R3 engine after Studebaker shut down? Write a check to Paxton and ask them to ship it to you?

Bob Langer
09-02-2010, 06:30 PM
How did a person go about aquiring an R3 engine after Studebaker shut down? Write a check to Paxton and ask them to ship it to you?

Yes.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/regnalbob/Paxtonpricelist001.jpg