PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Commander 14042 Original Miles.

GMCBRIAN
09-01-2010, 12:35 AM
I bought this car that was mentioned in another thread. I picked it up this morning. It had been sitting in the same spot approx 20 years. It has had two previous owners. The first few years it was given most of its miles. Was parked until sold to the second owner who bough it in 1980 because it had so few miles. He wanted the miles to stay low so he did not drive it much (as his wife tells me). He passed away many many years ago and his wife decided to finally sell it.
I had it running in less than an hour. Changed the oil, filled the points, new battery and ran an auxiliary fuel supply (as it was full of old gas). After she fired I went ahead and checked the brakes before I moved it. I just figured major brake work would be necessary. (I have a MGTD that sat 5 years and every single cylinder leaked and destroyed everything behind the drums). The master was full,I pulled all brakes drums, brakes were exceptionally clean with only bearing grease found anywhere, no brake leakdowns. So I repacked the wheel bearings and around the block I went. Drove it about 5 miles and it really runs good. I took video of the first start up too. Anyway, the fuel tank will be sent out tomorrow for a boil and seal. And I need to order a new sending unit. Should be a driver after that. The tires will need replaced as they were last done in 1960. They cleaned up good but I would be afraid to take them over 25 mph.
Anyway photos are way better than my description-
http://rides.webshots.com/album/578486564caVVcN

09-01-2010, 01:45 AM
That is a beautiful car, I think you got a great buy.

Bob Andrews
09-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Gorgeous, Brian! A real keeper there!

55champion
09-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Nice car, enjoy the ride....

jclary
09-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Anyone wanting a good example of how kind the california atmosphere can be to cars need to look no further. Just click the link to your pics and hit the "slide show" button. The best example I have seen. Like I said in the other thread, Welcome, and remember that this coming Saturday is international drive your Studebaker day. Looks like you are ready to go.

56H-Y6
09-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi

Congratulations! While the rest of us sparred over the car's value and condition, you acted, bought yourself a very fine apparently original example of a scarce Studebaker.

I hope it proves to be just that, a wonderfully preserved original '58. Even if you find evidence of a refreshing of the finish and other areas, it was likely done decades ago, just done to preserve the car. You might want to compare its details with MBStude's '58 Commander, you may be able to determine how things were done at South Bend that difficult year.

Anyway, preserve and enjoy that '58 Commander!

Steve

sweetolbob
09-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Welcome GMCBRIAN

It looks like the 58 has found a good home. Usually the question of original mileage is obscured by a car that has suffered poor storage or other conditions that allow deterioration. You example suffers none of that and presents itself an a great preserved example.

Thanks for joining the forum and posting about the car. Keep the posts coming.

Bob

JDP
09-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Brian I think the think we may be both right on the car. It's a a low millage car, but has been detailed if not restored. i.e. the trunk floor looks like it's a repaint and has the wrong mat etc. We were thrown off because we thought some of the car was too nice, some parts not nice enough. Reviewing the pictures now, there is no question in my mind that it's a very low milaige example, but I still contend it may have been freshened up.
I was even skeptical of the oil change stickers, my 18.000 mile car had them, but they were faded from age and moisture, yours are near mint. We were probably more suspicious than we should have been and don't take our comments as a knock on the car, it's what we do. BTW, I'm very happy the car found a new home, it's stunning car and well worth the money as a keeper. When I bought Christine, my 58, a forum member passed on the car too, and I ended up buying it after we picked it apart, just as you did on this one. I think we both did the right thing in the end.

GMCBRIAN
09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
The trunk does look odd the way it has never really been painted on the sides. The bottom almost appears to be zolotone with very light flecks. There is overspray in one spot of the body color so I know it has not had any alteration to it ever. If you could see it in person you would most likely agree with me. The factory seam sealer is over the top so it could not have been painted after. I also noticed a picture on the photos of your car John that has factory tape still in the body bolt hole. This car has that too with no paint over it either.

JDP
09-01-2010, 12:21 PM
The trunk does look odd the way it has never really been painted on the sides. The bottom almost appears to be zolotone with very light flecks. There is overspray in one spot of the body color so I know it has not had any alteration to it ever. If you could see it in person you would most likely agree with me. The factory seam sealer is over the top so it could not have been painted after. I also noticed a picture on the photos of your car John that has factory tape still in the body bolt hole. This car has that too with no paint over it either.

The trunk sides and floors should be the grunge color you see on my car. The floor on your car appears to have been painted, probably just to dress up some scuffing. Did you date code the tires ? The PO claimed they were factory, and we were very skeptical about that. I agree that the car was not a repaint after seeing the pictures, or it was one incredible job. Studebaker painted after the sealer was applied BTW, so maybe someone attended to some dry sealer, unless it's in a hidden area. It's fun to speculate, but after 50 years, it's hard to figure out. If I were you, I'd just detail the under hood and wax her within a inch of it's life, it's a stunner. BTW, how is the factory, rubber front mat ? Mine was brittle, so I had to install new carpets.

GMCBRIAN
09-01-2010, 12:28 PM
The front mat is brittle but in awesome shape. I took photos of the floor under the front mat when checking the brakes, because the floor did not even have scratches in the paint. It too is original paint, never touched and has a foam strip applied over the top so I know it has been there all along.
The tires are not original. The car got 5 new tires in 1960, It is in the log for the car. They are the 1960 tires still. But will definately need replaced.

JDP
09-01-2010, 12:38 PM
The front mat is brittle but in awesome shape. I took photos of the floor under the front mat when checking the brakes, because the floor did not even have scratches in the paint. It too is original paint, never touched and has a foam strip applied over the top so I know it has been there all along.
The tires are not original. The car got 5 new tires in 1960, It is in the log for the car. They are the 1960 tires still. But will definately need replaced.

Be very careful with the mat than, they are made of unobtainium and you might try and soften it up. The fact that it is still present is a good indicator of the cars low mileage. I recall a brown matted material under mine and some tar paper strips over the body bolts.

StudeRich
09-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Really beautiful Car! What really impressed me, was that under dash shot with the Paint Label intact (can't read it though), original Defroster hoses etc. as original and untouched as you can get, and some of that stuff will disintegrate on touch like the floor mat, because of age but if left alone will survive. :)

It always amazes me how some Cameras, maybe Cellphones just don't do GREEN!

On Pg. 1 of the Photos, at the bottom there are two left rear quarter shots and one deck lid pic in the Garage that almost look dark enough and have a touch of almost Green, but whenever there is Sun or maybe flash, it's as Blue as it could get!

With a clearly Green and Turquoise Interior, there is no way that the car is Blue!

I guess we would have to see it in natural light, on a cloudy, low sun day, with a good camera to see it's beautiful Teal Green color. :cool:

GMCBRIAN
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
The car is as Blue as it gets, I have a terrible camera. Paint Tag reads- Mountain Blue Metallic Enamel B.O.G., Parchment White Enamel B.O.P.

BobPalma
09-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Brian; that is a pretty car. Congrats.

1958 Commander 4-doors were the most popular non-Scotsman Studebakers that year, with 6,771 examples built.

Only two Scotsman models were more popular; the 4-door Scotsman at 7,654 units, and the most popular of all 1958 Studebakers, the 2-door Scotsman Wagon, with 7,680 units shipped.

Take good care of your Commander; it is likely the nicest one extant...well, at least until Dick Quinn has emptied all the barns in the Midwest....BP

StudeRich
09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
OK thanks, there is an interior shot at the Owners place that looks Green, everything else looks very Blue. And later I looked at more of the Pics when you got it home, and it does look exactly like Mountain Blue, one of the very best Blues Studebaker ever used! I love it! :cool:

Sonny
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
My God Brian, what a time capsule you have there! THIS car is, as it sits, a 399.7 point Studebaker. From all of the pictures I could not say that the car was freshened up, in any way. In fact, official Studebaker judges, (not the impromptu types at local shows), should not be deemed an official SDC Studebaker judge unless they had spent at least a week, of at least 8 hour days with a car of this caliber, going over every nook, crack and cranny, observing the paint nuances, fit and finish, etc., etc, etc...

They are new only once. No matter HOW restored they are, it SHOULD be that "they" would be very hard pressed to garner more points at any "official" judging than a car of this caliber. No ad hoc, arbitrary "safety" "improvements", nothing more than E X A C T L Y the way it left the Studebaker factory doors, period, THAT is a 400 point, concurs Studebaker. If judging is done correctly, the toughest competitions should be among cars of this caliber. There should be heavy points off for over-restoration.

Now, having said that, I'm a fella who cares nothing about judging, I'd put plenty of road miles on this Studebaker. If someone is into having their car judged, I suggest that they find a car of this caliber, keep it in environmentally controlled storage and trailer, take it to all of the official events and KILL the competition. Otherwise, I'd say that when a car is entered into competition against Brian's car, there shouldn't be any doubt as to why points were assessed for "improvements".... :)

Congratulations Brian, you have a BIG winner there! :cool::cool::cool:

showbizkid
09-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Right on... that is a gorgeous car. It amazes me that iron like this is still coming out of garages around the country! Just amazing.

JDP
09-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Cars like that deserve a Survivor class, otherwise you'll spend a lot of time and money in pursuit of high points. As I recall, I spent over a grand and many hours to detail Christine for show. Even with low that 18,000 mile car, I would have lost 30 points for a dirty engine, lack of decals, and the like. My Survivor Avanti did score in the 380's with lots of detail work, but sadly, even a brand new Studebaker would lose points today against cars with show paint and chrome.
I've done my last show car after the PO and me spent 70K to make a high point GT Hawk, I'm done. No question this nice 4 door would win a first place with some under hood and chassis detailing and odds and ends, but why bother ?

BRUCESTUDE
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM
BEEEEEUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Original cars are the greatest, and one that nice is way cool!!!

Chucks Stude
09-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Way cool. Looks like a museum piece. Fix the heater, and drive it, what a prize.....

GMCBRIAN
09-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Good eye on the heater hose Chuck. I actually bypassed it because the hoses are so old I wanted to reduce my risk for failures, not because anything was wrong with it. Gas tank gets dropped off today for a freshen up and Firestone 7.5x14 tires will be ordered from Coker.

DEEPNHOCK
09-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I liked the pic of the keys the best:p
'Perfect Studebaker keys'....Amazing!;)
Jeff:cool:

studegary
09-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Cars like that deserve a Survivor class, otherwise you'll spend a lot of time and money in pursuit of high points. As I recall, I spent over a grand and many hours to detail Christine for show. Even with low that 18,000 mile car, I would have lost 30 points for a dirty engine, lack of decals, and the like. My Survivor Avanti did score in the 380's with lots of detail work, but sadly, even a brand new Studebaker would lose points today against cars with show paint and chrome.
I've done my last show car after the PO and me spent 70K to make a high point GT Hawk, I'm done. No question this nice 4 door would win a first place with some under hood and chassis detailing and odds and ends, but why bother ?

I know what you mean John/JDP. I spent a lot of time cleaning and touching up a 3K mile Avanti. At an SDC International I lost a few points, including by Dave T. for a fold in the door upholstery. I explained that that was the way that it was built and he said that he didn't like it so he took a point off. [I have had original Studebakers with things like a big sag in the paint.] I did get a First Place, but I think that someone else, that scored a point or two higher, was supposed to get Best of Show. They trailered their Avanti in a closed trailer and I drove mine (not that that matters in judging). IIRC, that was the last time that I had a car judged at an SDC International.

We shouldn't turn this thread into a judging platform. It is Sonny's statement that started it. I don't see how anyone could call the car a 399 point car. It is an excellent original condition car, but it would not judge very high as-is.

56H-Y6
10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi

Surprised to see this low mileage '58 Commander offerred on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-Studebaker-Commander-LOW-ORIGINAL-MILES-14-070-/150499528440?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item230a788ef8

Hope it finds a new owner who appreciates and preserves such a nice original car.
Steve

Bob Andrews
10-04-2010, 06:07 PM
We've been discussing it here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?44014-On-the-fence

StudeRich
10-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Congrats Brian, that $11,899.00 has to be among the highest prices on ebay for any '54 to '66 Studebaker 4 Door Sedan, and it deserves every penny and more! :)

10-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I guess that kind of squashes all the opinions that 58s "even in this outstanding condition" just aren't worth very much. I wish I could have bought it.

GMCBRIAN
10-04-2010, 09:58 PM
There were 5 bidders over the $7k mark that seamed to be the consensus around here. I think this car brought this money for multiple reasons. I think for what it is, its future potential, and to have a very nice driving car that shows very well for under $12k from the 50's it was bought well. The price is fair for a car of this caliber.
True that the Studebaker make does not bring the values of a Chevy or Ford from the same era. But they are well a liked car by all classic car lovers. And in a sea of 57 Chevies at local cruise nights, cars like this are a refreshing break. And this one is a fine example of how well the Studebaker's can stand up over time.

58PackardWagon
10-05-2010, 08:58 PM
An absolute time capsule. What state is it going to?