1950 Stude pickup question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Stude pickup question.

Does anyone know if there should be a fan shroud or have a photo of an original engine compartment? My fan is way too far from the radiator.

My 50 2R5 pickup has no shroud The fan is about 2 inches from the radiator.. The big 6 may be different... DMc

Comment

You may have a Car water pump on your engine with a shorter shaft.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Pics?? You might even be able to adapt a V-8 spacer and get the fan closer. I think that it would help to look at Bob Johnstones repair site. There are pics of a water-pump and spacer assy. That might help.

Comment

Mine is the small six and the fan is at least 10" or more from the radiator.

Comment

Here is what I have
            Attached Files

Comment

Well... how does it run? Does it overheat? If not, then what's the issue, other than looks. Yes, it's too far from the radiator. Still, if it works...
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

It cools fine going down the road, but at an idle (parade) the temps climbs steady.

Comment

How about some better pics of the radiator itself? It may be mounted wrong. On my '55 with the small six, the radiator is mounted on the back side of the support. Yours looks like it is inside or in front of the support. On my V8 powered 55, the bigger radiator is in front of the support.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

FWIW I have a '52 pickup with a big 6 and it has a shroud and due to the extra engine length the radiator is even with the grill side of the rad support. I have also a Transtar parts truck with a Champ engine; no shroud and the front of the radiator is offset by a rad width towards the engine. Hope this helps.

Comment

I believe both the Commander 6 and V8 came with a fan shroud. Presumably the same shroud could be used with the Champion 6, as long as the fan was located properly. And as noted, the radiator can be mounted two ways. The parts book would tell you for sure whether your truck should have a shroud. I don't have my book handy or I would look it up for you.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

I'll take a look at the radiator mounting this evening. Thanks.

Comment

According to the parts book, a five bladed fan and a shroud were optional for extra cooling. My '49 2R15 has about one inch between the fan blades and the radiator is mounted on the rear side of the support.
                          Rick
                          Kingman, AZ

Comment

Ok. The radiator is mounted flush with the core support. I do see mounting holes where it can be moved to the inside, getting the radiator 3 inches closer to the fan, but the filler neck on the top tank would not clear the support that way. I think the truck originally had a big six but now has the champion. Was the radiator tanks different? Can someone please post a pic of the radiator mounting with the champion engine?

Comment

Here's my Champion powered 2R15.
                              Rick
                              Kingman, AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X