PDA

View Full Version : 1950 Stude pickup question.

pushrod63
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Does anyone know if there should be a fan shroud or have a photo of an original engine compartment? My fan is way too far from the radiator.

Dean McHenry
08-31-2010, 03:17 PM
My 50 2R5 pickup has no shroud The fan is about 2 inches from the radiator.. The big 6 may be different... DMc

StudeRich
08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
You may have a Car water pump on your engine with a shorter shaft.

Chucks Stude
08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Pics?? You might even be able to adapt a V-8 spacer and get the fan closer. I think that it would help to look at Bob Johnstones repair site. There are pics of a water-pump and spacer assy. That might help.

pushrod63
08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Mine is the small six and the fan is at least 10" or more from the radiator.

pushrod63
08-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Here is what I have

studeclunker
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Well... how does it run? Does it overheat? If not, then what's the issue, other than looks. Yes, it's too far from the radiator. Still, if it works...;)

pushrod63
09-01-2010, 06:21 AM
It cools fine going down the road, but at an idle (parade) the temps climbs steady.

jclary
09-01-2010, 06:39 AM
How about some better pics of the radiator itself? It may be mounted wrong. On my '55 with the small six, the radiator is mounted on the back side of the support. Yours looks like it is inside or in front of the support. On my V8 powered 55, the bigger radiator is in front of the support.

Alchemist
09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
FWIW I have a '52 pickup with a big 6 and it has a shroud and due to the extra engine length the radiator is even with the grill side of the rad support. I have also a Transtar parts truck with a Champ engine; no shroud and the front of the radiator is offset by a rad width towards the engine. Hope this helps.

Skip Lackie
09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I believe both the Commander 6 and V8 came with a fan shroud. Presumably the same shroud could be used with the Champion 6, as long as the fan was located properly. And as noted, the radiator can be mounted two ways. The parts book would tell you for sure whether your truck should have a shroud. I don't have my book handy or I would look it up for you.

pushrod63
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I'll take a look at the radiator mounting this evening. Thanks.

sasquatch
09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
According to the parts book, a five bladed fan and a shroud were optional for extra cooling. My '49 2R15 has about one inch between the fan blades and the radiator is mounted on the rear side of the support.

pushrod63
09-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Ok. The radiator is mounted flush with the core support. I do see mounting holes where it can be moved to the inside, getting the radiator 3 inches closer to the fan, but the filler neck on the top tank would not clear the support that way. I think the truck originally had a big six but now has the champion. Was the radiator tanks different? Can someone please post a pic of the radiator mounting with the champion engine?

sasquatch
09-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Here's my Champion powered 2R15.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff171/sasquatch46/rad.jpg

pushrod63
09-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Your upper radiator tank is different than mine.

pushrod63
09-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Here is what mine looks like. I have the truck production order and it gives me an engine # of 1R 92694, can anyone tell me which engine came in the truck?

jclary
09-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I am not a number guru, so I will leave it to others to help you with the number. However, you do have a heavy-duty radiator for the larger engined trucks. Why not offer to trade with someone who has the smaller radiator, or you can locate or fabricate a shroud to more efficiently draw the air. My last resort would be to hang a long adapter on that water pump and increase the lateral load on the bearing.

Skip Lackie
09-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Here is what mine looks like. I have the truck production order and it gives me an engine # of 1R 92694, can anyone tell me which engine came in the truck?
1R engine prefix means the 170 cu in Champion 6.

pushrod63
09-06-2010, 10:49 AM
In that case, I have the wrong radiator. Anyone have a shroud or radiator?

jclary
09-06-2010, 11:40 AM
In that case, I have the wrong radiator. Anyone have a shroud or radiator?
Anyone who has a custom that has added a V8 (or is building one) should be happy to swap for your heavy-duty radiator.

Do you know the history of your truck? My concern would be why the radiator is in the truck now. Could be that the previous owner had a cooling problem and thought the current radiator would cure it. The old radiator could have been damaged, etc. However, that radiator should be very desirable to someone needing it.

pushrod63
09-06-2010, 01:40 PM
My dad bought the truck in 1986 with no motor or tranny. He did say the current radiator was still in the truck. He then bought a junk truck from a salvage for parts. The champion motor and overdrive tranny came from the other one. He had the engine rebuilt and installed. I have no idea why my truck would have a heavy duty radiator that seems to be set up for the big six if the prodution sheet says it came with the Champion.

jclary
09-06-2010, 02:36 PM
My dad bought the truck in 1986 with no motor or tranny. He did say the current radiator was still in the truck. He then bought a junk truck from a salvage for parts. The champion motor and overdrive tranny came from the other one. He had the engine rebuilt and installed. I have no idea why my truck would have a heavy duty radiator that seems to be set up for the big six if the prodution sheet says it came with the Champion.
In this instance, it could have been just what was available when a radiator was needed, This could have been an abandoned project where someone was planning to upgrade to a larger engine. In any event, take your time and start soliciting for trades. You might want to place a "want" ad on the swap page and start a thread on the truck forum requesting a swap or outright purchase. Be patient, I'll be surprised if you can't find one soon.

pushrod63
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Solved the radiator mystery. The truck was stolen in the early 80s from Oklahoma and recovered a few years later in California. My dad bought it from the insurance company. When he received it, someone had pulled the motor and tranny and was in the process of installing a Studebaker V8. The V8 was dismanteled and in the bed of the truck. It seems they had already installed the V8 radiator in the truck.

Dean McHenry
09-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Dont know if you are still looking for a radiator or not, I have one that was with a bunch of parts I bought at an auction a few years ago. Its an original style one (honeycomb core) clean and straight it looks identical to the one that is in my 1950 2r5.. If you could use it I could run it past the local radiator shop to see if it is worth shipping to you. DMc

pushrod63
09-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Have it checked and let me know.