Question about knock down Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about knock down Studebakers

An auto writer friend of mine asked me, and I did not know the answer, about the details behind the knock down Studebakers sold overseas.
    Does anyone know--how much was assembled before it was disassembled, and how big the pieces were?
    Were those export cars ever assembled at all, or just crated for assembly later?
    What I mean is, were whole frames with bodies sent over, and one put in the engines and doors, dash, and windows, or were the bodies entirely in crates of painted sheet metal stampings and everything was built up on an assembly line in the importing country, or was it in between?
    Did whole engines come in crates, or was some assembly required there too?
    Is there any surviving documentation of how the parts were shipped out and what was done with them on the other end, more specifically than that they were built into cars.
    And what percentage, if any, of content was added to the car, in the destination country.
    Where is more detailed knock down information--in any issue of Turning Wheels? If so, which one?

Originally posted by aenthal View Post
    An auto writer friend of mine asked me, and I did not know the answer, about the details behind the knock down Studebakers sold overseas.
    Does anyone know--how much was assembled before it was disassembled, and how big the pieces were?
    Were those export cars ever assembled at all, or just crated for assembly later?
    What I mean is, were whole frames with bodies sent over, and one put in the engines and doors, dash, and windows, or were the bodies entirely in crates of painted sheet metal stampings and everything was built up on an assembly line in the importing country, or was it in between?
    Did whole engines come in crates, or was some assembly required there too?
    Is there any surviving documentation of how the parts were shipped out and what was done with them on the other end, more specifically than that they were built into cars.
    And what percentage, if any, of content was added to the car, in the destination country.
    Where is more detailed knock down information--in any issue of Turning Wheels? If so, which one?
    I’m sure a lot more qualified members will be along shortly to answer your questions, but in the meanwhile:

KD = Knock-down = building a complete vehicle and then removing components/assemblies so that it will fit within a certain size wooden crate/box for shipping purposes. A.K.A. “Cube Reduction."

CKD = Complete Knock-down = as in say shipping a 100 steering wheels in one box, a 100 transmissions in another and so on and so forth to a destination for assembling vehicles.

From the Studebaker's "Spotlight” magazine article about "Knock-downs". The second photo down would have been taken prior to May 1942 when my Father entered the Army.

Last edited by Welcome; 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X