PDA

View Full Version : No Title

crusadex
08-30-2010, 11:26 PM
My dad has a california car he bought with no title.
It was an internet buy the was listed as having a title.
He went past the ebay 90 day limit.
The person who delivered it was given apps for a new title that were improperly filled out.
The broker who sold it refused to correct the issue.

Anyone have any experience with title problems?

The car runs like a dream,it would be a shame to have to part it out.

StudeRich
08-30-2010, 11:38 PM
If you have the last License plate or number, an old registration card, (& it was Calif.) any documentation or name & address of the former registered owner, the DMV MAY be able to help by checking/verifying that the Serial Number (Vin.) on the car matches. The worst scenario would be having them issue a Calif. Vin. Number sticker and not using the Car's actual Serial Number, which you want to avoid if at all possible.

studeclunker
08-31-2010, 12:01 AM
There are several forms that must be filled out with the CA DMV to transfer the title. In this case, you might want to file for a lost title. Personally, I'd consider reporting the broker to the DMV for selling a vehicle without proper documentation which is illegal in California.

Start with the lost title. If you can, I'd suggest going to a CA DMV office (in Yreka perhaps?) and talk to them. This can be straightened out. It's a hassle, however quite do-able.;)

Oh, one more thing, report this joker to e-bay. They might not be able to do much, however they can flag the jerk.

crusadex
08-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Studebakerclunker said:,"Personally, I'd consider reporting the broker to the DMV for selling a vehicle without proper documentation which is illegal in California."
I'm seriously considering that.When i get all of the purchase info.I wasn't part of the transaction and the people who helped him dropped the ball badly.
I'm told that they do have contact info and documents from the broker.
My dad's old and the kind of guy that still cusses GM for the demise of Studebaker.
When we got the car running he lit up like a christmas tree.
I want to see him enjoy his car while he still can.

crusadex
08-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Yeah,the last part has me a little concerned

studeclunker
08-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Get all the information you can before going to the DMV. They love to string you along for an hour, then send you home for want of one document. So, get everything you can. When you do start the process, get every form you need or even think you need and fill them out completely. They love it when you cooperate with their nosiness.;):p LOL, just kidding. But the DMV is really picky to make sure all the documentation is perfect. In the end it's all for your protection anyway. Annoying in the extreme sometimes though...

1950 Champion RegalDeluxe
08-31-2010, 03:52 AM
I recently had a similar issue.
The California DMV did not have records on file because the car had been over five years since it was last registered.
I used a network of connections and found the previous owners widow.
I discovered that the previous owner was a paranoid guy with many names and that they were still finding things they did not know he owned.
Lost title was the only option available to me.

gearhead49
08-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Check this link out. Sounds like he has helped out other HAMB people

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386646

candbstudebakers
08-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Very easy to do if you are in California, if the car has not been in the state system for 5 years or more and they have not tried to get a new one yet it is no big deal...Bob

52 Ragtop
08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
I just went through this on the 1920 Studebaker I bought from Illinois. The serial number did not match the title! It IS very hard to read. I had to have a Westfield Police Officer verify the number, he ended up using fingerprint powder to see it! (my new Studebaker has already been finger printed) LOL Anyway, after a second trip to BMV here in Indiana, I was told that I needed a second Officer to verify the number. I did that, and last Saturday went down and showed the supervisor all my paperwork, I even had them correct the year from the Illinois title (1921) to the correct year
(1920) and I should receive the title in about 3-4 weeks.
I have found out (maybe it's "older wisdom" that if you play their game, give them what they want, they will be much more receptive to a "minor" issue! (and a major one too, like wrong serial number and year)
Maybe I just got lucky, but the BMV in Noblesville has always been good to me.

Jim

wdills
08-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Don't know how it works in CA or Oregon but here in NC, you can fill out a few forms and get an indemnity bond for not too much money (mine was about $125). Just take it all down to DMV and they will issue you a NC title. The bond would pay anybody that made a claim on the car in the next 3 years but you keep the car.

May want to check with your local DMV and see if they have a similar process. I found all the info I need on the NC DMV's web-site.

Good luck

DEEPNHOCK
08-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Heck... In Georgia, if it is 25 years old, or older, you don't need a title.
In fact, if you 'insist' on getting a title, they charge you extra for the privilege.
(a small detail to think about if you ever intend to sell it in an intrusive state)......

candbstudebakers
08-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Ya try and bring a car into California from Georgia with out a title, very hard to do and one big headache, been there done that.

52 Ragtop
09-03-2010, 09:18 PM
WOW! Talk about some service from the Indiana BMV! Last SaturdayAugust 27th, I went to the Noblesville BMV (they're open until noon) I presented all the paperwork I had for my newly aquired 1920 Light 6 EJ Touring. The title I received from the seller in Illinois, had the wrong serial number, I had 2 different Westfield Police Officers verify the vin. (per BMV the week before) I also had a bill of sale with the wrong serial number on it, and, the wrong title and bill of sale had the wrong year (1921)
So, i go in, apply for a title, change the year, and model (originally listed as a 4 door) which it is, but---
I leave BMV and the gal tells me, I'll get a title in 4-6 weeks. So, today i get home, and low and behold, I now have a CORRECT title, with the correct year, serial number, and now has 1920 Studebaker Light 6 EJ Touring on the title. Seven days after I was at BMV!
Looks like ole' "Uncle Mitch" (Mitch Daniels, Governor) has turned one of the worst BMV's in the country into a smooth sailing operation!

Jim

Welcome
09-03-2010, 10:56 PM
WOW! Talk about some service from the Indiana BMV!>>>Looks like ole' "Uncle Mitch" (Mitch Daniels, Governor) has turned one of the worst BMV's in the country into a smooth sailing operation!<<<
Jim

WOW is right! Didn’t "Your Man MITCH" sell the Indiana BMV to a Spanish company? No, no, now I remember, it was Interstate 80 and Interstate 90 (a.k.a. the Indiana Toll Road) he sold to them!!!:mad:

Anyway …good thing you got all your business taken care of now …my friend at the IN BMV here says there are “sweeping changes coming at the first of the year.” You’ll be able to do most everything online! BUT…if your particular situation requires the services of a real live breathing person at one of the few remaining BMV locations, be prepared to wait & wait & wait!

barnlark
09-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Crusadex, I'm trying to get your situation firmed up. Your location seems to be in Oregon. Is your father in Oregon, too, or is he a California resident? I'm not sure how much luck you will have in California not being a California resident if you decide to wander into one of their DMVs. Maybe they will help an out of state resident, but perhaps you will have more luck with your own state's bureau. The seller should have just had a pink slip for you to take out of state. The broker, (if) as a resident of California, is the one who should have applied for any missing title, not you.

The California State Auditor's office should be notified of any info you may have on him. He might have a license and they can deal with that and get him on file. He's probably avoiding taxes and is flipping it without paying any of those. If you have his city of business, call or email the local BBB and get him on their file for operating a bad business. They may already have him on file and they are great to deal with for where to get the best help.

You really need to get the real title, as Rich suggested. Work on that first, then deal with the broker after your dad is happy with a licensed car. I'd file a report with the seller's local police department if he's selling online without titles. They may also have him on file... if he actually used his real name. A quick call to your local DMV in Oregon, or even your state police's non-emergency phone line is a good place to start, then go from there. You could waste a lot of time going to the wrong place. Good luck. Here are some helpful links:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/titlereg.shtml#Acquiring

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg227.pdf

http://www.bsa.ca.gov/hotline

http://los-angeles.bbb.org/Home.aspx

52 Ragtop
09-04-2010, 10:12 PM
WOW is right! Didn’t "Your Man MITCH" sell the Indiana BMV to a Spanish company? No, no, now I remember, it was Interstate 80 and Interstate 90 (a.k.a. the Indiana Toll Road) he sold to them!!!

Welcome! i did not say my man Mitch!

Jim

Nelsen Motorsports
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Ya try and bring a car into California from Georgia with out a title, very hard to do and one big headache, been there done that.

Just a good ol Bill of Sale, doesn't even need notorizing...

StudeRich
09-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Just a good ol Bill of Sale, doesn't even need notorizing...

Yeah right! Did you try taking that to the Calif. DMV? It works to verify the cost for the "Use Tax", but a Title is also required in title States.

DEEPNHOCK
09-05-2010, 06:13 AM
When I moved to Georgia and went to transfer the tags (license plates to you Yankee's:rolleyes:),
They said 'Y'all don't need a title in Jawjuh iff'en it's older than 25 years"..
I told them I wanted one anyways and paid their $12 (iirc) upcharge...
You just never know.....
Jeff:cool:

Yeah right! Did you try taking that to the Calif. DMV? It works to verify the cost for the "Use Tax", but a Title is also required in title States.

Welcome
09-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Welcome! i did not say my man Mitch!
Jim

Jim, of course you didn't say it!;) As many in Indiana recall "My Man Mitch" was a slogan used during Mitch’s first race for governor. After his first major (unpopular) moves as Governor (changing the time zones around in Indiana & leasing (selling) our Indiana Toll Road to a foreign corporation) many disclaimed him as being “My Man Mitch …and instead used the phrase “YOUR Man Mitch” (not mine)!:D

Anyway, Jim, I’m taking your lead & the advice from my friend at the IN BMV. I’m not waiting any longer to have my ’56 Golden Hawk registered to an old 1956 Indiana license plate I have …while I can still walk into a branch and have a real live breathing human being take care of that! Jim & others in Indiana; have you already done that for your car …or are planning to do so?

crusadex
09-14-2010, 12:22 AM
We are both Oregon.
Oregon help on this was handing me a 70 page book with options to get it titled and a disclaimer saying they could give no advice.
The broker was a cali resident.
A real title in oregon would have been a done deal......
Even a lost one here isn't that tough.I just did 2 of them.
I appreciate everyone advice!!!!Seriously i do.
My goal is to get it to the point that i can drive him around in it before he's gone.
I will let everyone know how it works out.

Orestudeguy
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Crusadex,

I am in Oregon as well. Several years ago I bought a "51 Studebaker Champion from a guy in Sacramento, Ca.
I was told he had the title when purchase was discussed.
I arrived to pick up the car with the cash and was then told he didn't have the title. I deducted $200.00 from the agreed price of the car and told him I would send the balance held when the title showed up. It never did.
After a year of waiting ( I was in no hurry) I contacted the Calif DMV and after many phone calls and wasted stamps,
I gave up on getting the correct forms and info from them. I paid a local shop to file a "lein sale" on the car and after thirty days I had a valid Oregon Title in my hand. And no, it is not a salvage title.
(some wrecking yards will do it for you but it will be a salvage title)
The cost? $130.00.
Just an idea that you might find helpfu!