• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW!! This is hard to believe!

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Things are not so hot all over; even very nice cars are not selling. The colour of this car was a possible drag on selling it. I've never heard of a resale orange, and it might offend the purist type of purchaser. Money/time and energy would have been better spent on other stuff, I'm thinking. Just getting it back to what it was is so much in time and/or money for an Avanti.

Comment

It sure seems odd that it would get only one bid and it would hold up for a week. I know next to nothing about Avantis, but it seems like something is amiss. I doubt it though. I have bought from the seller before and he was straight up.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Makes me feel a little ill......:-(
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Well, it Is an R1, not R2; plus AT, not manual. I fell in love with that color myself.

I think the price was about right, provided it was as decent as the pictures show. Remember, it IS a 10 YO resto. I'm more surprised someone bid that high as an opening bid. Also I'm surprised that a dealer would let it go that cheap- usually they have the highest prices.

Sometimes folks will start high and shill bid the opener to try and convince others "well, somebody already bid that, it must be worth a lot more!". Not saying that's the case here, but it's possible.

We'll see if it turns up again with the standard "this car sold but the high bidder didn't come through" story.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Personally, I thought the selling price was a steal.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                Personally, I thought the selling price was a steal.
                Rog
                Of course it was! They are worth that without good Paint! I thought it had a high reserve, I guess not!
                That car was a real Deal!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think that the modified part of the car hurt the price.
                  It states "4-speed automatic transmission". I wonder if it has a GM OD AT conversion or if they are just incorrect.
                  It is hard to imagine a car dealer stating "Power Breaks". Does it lose power <G>?
                  They also have an Australian built GTO for sale. These have ben talked about on this forum. I personally do not like them, but some others do, but not enough people bought them as new cars.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry Bams, but THAT COLOR????? I love Avanti Gold, but as my wife would say, "looks like a bad day at the crayon factory! :-)
                    Jim S.
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Before you'all get carried away, I was watching that car on a previous Ebay auction and it was listed as "SOLD" at $12000. So my guess is this is a very similiar "SOLD" situation.

I won't speculate why it is sold again but I have my suspicions. Kosher it ain't

I'll bet is listed again in the near future.

Bob

Comment

"Original factory tuner."

Are they referring to the radio?

Or do they mean this is a factory "tuner" car as the current young generation calls their performance cars?
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Interesting that the Starting Price was 10.5K and 22 minutes after the listing, that bid was made.
                          Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt
                          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

yeah, bidder history shows 55 bids on cars in the last 30 days. That does NOT seem like the average ebayer, does it?

Comment

The 2004 ad said the restore was 10 years old, and so does the new ad. Someone can't do math. Sounds like it ought to be at least 16 years old.

Comment

Working...
                              X