Flathead six head identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flathead six head identification

I have a 1950 Champion engine, block number 580680, that has a head casting number of 526989. After looking pretty hard for data on line I called Bill Cathcart who graciously took tiem to look through his catalogs for that casting number. While he could not find that exact number, he did say the head was older than 1954. Does anybody have a chart that shows this head? I want to find out the design compression ratio. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. --48M5
    sigpic
    48M5
    Sumner, WA

Are there any date codes? On my 41 there is a date code next to the casting number on both the block and the head. So far I can prove T = 1940 and U = 1941. Not sure what 1950 would have been! After the year code is the month and day of the casting. At least on my engine there was a date stamped on the gasket surface for the intake manifold near the back of the block. No idea how common that was.

Comment

Thanks Nathan. I think there is a code. I'll take a photo and post it tonight. --48M5
      sigpic
      48M5
      Sumner, WA

Comment

580680 must be the stamped engine serial number at the top, front, corner of the block, on the left side. It is correct for a 1950 model. The raised casting number 524807 is down near the distributor.
        The head casting number often served as the actual part number up into the early '50s before that practice was discontinued. 526989 is correct for a 1950 model. It was replaced by 529278 later in the model year. Original compression ratio was 7.0 to 1.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

169 heads, different 169 blocks?

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          580680 must be the stamped engine serial number at the top, front, corner of the block, on the left side. It is correct for a 1950 model. The raised casting number 524807 is down near the distributor.
          The head casting number often served as the actual part number up into the early '50s before that practice was discontinued. 526989 is correct for a 1950 model. It was replaced by 529278 later in the model year. Original compression ratio was 7.0 to 1.
          I have a 1949 2r5 that has the 526989. I assume correct. My truck is an "early" model.

Also, I have two blocks, both 169ci. One has dipstick right behind distributor, like 1" back. Other raw block has two hole, one near front and other near back for a dipstick? Would this be for a car? Would it be year specific?

Thanks,

lanthony

Comment

Working...
          X