59 Lark from JDP- progress by new owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Lark from JDP- progress by new owner

This is the Lark that nobody wanted Finally sold via eBay to a rodder, good guy named Larry. He's going MoPar power.

I kept the engine, trans., driveshaft, wide whites, etc. I can have the rear axle and front frame if I go after it (probably will).

Larry's been sending me updates; it's coming right along. Here's one shot:

I had dreamed of restoring it to bone-stock, 6 auto. Didn't work out, but at least the car's being used.

I'll throw an occasional update here as the info comes in.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

for what it's worth, I think that car was just begging for MORE POWER ARGH ARGH ARGH

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I was actually thinking for a Lark a hot 340 would be the ticket. I like revs, and it wouldn't be as heavy as a Hemi...

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

He is not only putting some pretty serious equipment on it, he is going mach 90. Keep us posted.

Comment

John,Please ask him for a close up picture or two of how he attached the box tube to the Stude frame,along with a narrative. I would like to see that merging in some detail.Thanks.

Comment

Latest update:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	LarkLarryG3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1663530

Name:	LarkLarryG2.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1663529

Name:	LarkLarryG4.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1663528
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Very cool! I still think a turbocharged slant six would ruffle some feathers a LOT though! Haha!
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

This engine looks like a 64 Buick 300 with aluminum heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
                  This engine looks like a 64 Buick 300 with aluminum heads.
                  Sure does! Next update I'll have to ask what happened to the planned MoPar power...
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Studedude, I could have helped you crater that Chevrolet engine last weekend, all you had to do was ask. I'm here to help ya.
                    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

As sad as it may be to have watched the car go Bob, it sure is fun to see another's project come together.
                      And good on you to keep an open door to his progress and pictures.

Uuuggg, hat's off to him......I need power steering

All in all when everything's hammered out and in working order, I hope to see more pictures, and hope he enjoy's the heck out of it. Hit him up for a ride, Bob .
                      Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 09-27-2010, 08:05 AM.
                      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Interesting how far that car has come. I got it free as part of a 5 car deal, N8 and me did some work and sold it to Bob for peanuts. Bob did some more work, sold it for a bit more and now it may end up as pretty nice rod. No matter how you feel about rods, a much better fate than being scrapped.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Looks like the builder knows what he is doing and this is one project that may get finished.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Don't know what it was about this car, every time I see the progress pictures I feel a pang of regret; I really wanted to do this car bone-stock original. I just really loved it.

That's not to say I have any problem whatsoever with what Larry's doing with it, I do not. He's a good guy who already has a couple neat rods, and unlike me he's actually able to DO something with it- which was my hope in selling it.

Kevin- I saw your questions earlier, and they were legitimate. I don't really have the answers; but I'll certainly keep the updates coming as he sends them. He says the engine's done and running. He got the brake booster and will start building the brake system this week. I did advise him to reconsider his front spring choice...

I intend to go to his place next summer when he's done and pick up the front clip, rear axle, seats, and whatever else he doesn't use. I'll get a good look then- and yes, the plan is to get a ride as well
                            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude
                              MoPar Power is cool, I understand and appreciate that choice... when (if, in my functional lifetime) the Ch**y engine that was in my car when I bought it (still there, 'cause it still runs) ever craters, that's what I'll most likely go to.

I'm not saying MoPar power, in and of itself, is any better than Stude power. But, it's not GM, it's not Ford, and I'm sure I can find a Hemi that was produced during one of the American ownership phases of MoPar vehicles. <G>

I am ready to drop the GM hex, and move up to fuel injection and some other (what I consider to be) improvements since the 50's and 60's for a highway cruiser.

(I know it's hard to believe, but opinions on this subject can, do, and will vary)
                              I like the way tou think!, but a 460 with Kaase Boss Nine heads would do just fine.
                              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                              Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X