Looking for a pair of Chevy V8 frame mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a pair of Chevy V8 frame mounts

Part numbers 1563714 and 1563715. One of the board members had offered me a pair back in May but I've tried unsuccesfully since then to contact him. If anyone has a pair available please let me know. Thanks!

Studebaker International carries them.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I know, but I was hoping to not have to pay $175 for them. SI can be pretty pricey.

Comment

That what used one cost so bight the bullet.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Dougie

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but if they go for $350/pr, How's your fabricating skills. It looks like some 3/16" plate and a good mig could fab them with some modest effort. You've just need to get the hole for the SBC engine mount in the right spot. Build the three hole plate that mounts to the frame, bolt it in, make a box that bolts to the SBC engine mount, bolt it to it.

Set the engine where it belongs, connect the plate and box with a couple of metal pieces, remove and add plate and weld to look good.

Bob
          Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-24-2010, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Actually it's $175 for the pair, but you make a good point about fabricating them. My brother runs a fabrication shop. I'l bet given the measurements he could fab them for way less. It's not that I'm cheap, it's just that I have twins that just left this week for their first year of college (can you say $45,000 per year for the next four years?). Now that I have the time to work on the car, I don't have the money.

It reminds me of when I was 18 in 1972 and lived in the city of Chicago. I could have bought a '65 Corvette for $1750 but couldn't afford the insurance which was $2000 a year. Now I can afford the insurance, but not the car. Funny how the stars never seem to line up right...

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
              Actually it's $175 for the pair, but you make a good point about fabricating them. My brother runs a fabrication shop. I'l bet given the measurements he could fab them for way less. It's not that I'm cheap, it's just that I have twins that just left this week for their first year of college (can you say $45,000 per year for the next four years?). Now that I have the time to work on the car, I don't have the money.

It reminds me of when I was 18 in 1972 and lived in the city of Chicago. I could have bought a '65 Corvette for $1750 but couldn't afford the insurance which was $2000 a year. Now I can afford the insurance, but not the car. Funny how the stars never seem to line up right...
              I feel your pain on the college cost but in the end it will be the best investment you will ever make. Mine are now an optometrist and a mechanical engineer gainfully employed and the parents of the four best grandkids in the world.

And I won't mention the 57 injected Vette I passed in 62 'cause I could not come up with the $900 he wanted when I made $1.38 a hour and was paying for college.

As far as cheap, that's no crime on this forum, recall CASO. I'm cheap at times but with things like the mounts, I fabricate them to keep the skills active. You'll understand as you approach your dotage as I am.

Bob
              Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-24-2010, 06:56 PM.

Comment

What are you putting the SB Chev in? And don't just say a Studebaker! And what is that part # you are quoating? Do they really have to be bolt in mounts or do you have a welder?
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Yes, Store bought mounts can be expensive, but someone engineered the first one. Copying them is a snap if you know they are going to fit and work. For example, I just purchased a Turner Brake kit for my wifes 61 Hawk ( dual master cylinder mount) Very nice piece! well made and I asume it will be an easy installation. Came with all sorts of directions and information on cylinders to use, as well as "ALL" of the hardware, residual valves etc, etc,. I have a shop and could make the second one for next to nothing + plus my time. But "Time is Money" and I feel I made a good call on ordering up this part. There are enough things to do R&D on on my projects without trying to re invent the wheel to save a few bucks.
                  Not really a CASCO but I do watch most of my pennies.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

It's going in a 62 Lark. I picked up a used Muncie 4 speed and a Ford 8.8 and just got new 6 leaf springs. Now I just need to find a good deal on the engine. I've welded a little, but it's not so pretty. If I did fab them I'd have my brother do it. He used to weld for a living.

As far as the kids, I hope there's jobs in this stupid economy when they get out. I seriously thought about taking the money and offering to buy them a Subway franchise, but the degree is the right thing, and besides, who wants to make sandwiches all day.

if anyone has dimensions on the mounts, I'd love to have them and put my brother to work on them.

Comment

Really since you are going to use a lark, the originals or the new ones SI has is the way to go, now if it was a hawk then that is a different story and you would need to make some thing work, good mounts is something that is important and $175.00 is cheap and will fit and be done with, but to each his own.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Fatman sells universal one's.

Comment

Working...
                        X