Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Roads (West Virginia) Car Club Summer Show, Jefferson County Fair (Warning- pix embedded)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country Roads (West Virginia) Car Club Summer Show, Jefferson County Fair (Warning- pix embedded)

Last week Gunslinger emailed me about going to a car show yesterday (Sunday 8/22) very close to where I live. My response- "why not". Every year the Jefferson County Fair has a car show and I hadn't gone for some years. There are usually six or eight Studebakers there. Sunday weather predictions weren't very good- 80% chance of thunderstorms and we did get rained on going to where we met a few miles from the fairgrounds. We wanted to arrive together and park side by side. This show has something for everyone and the classes aren't separated. We registered as numbers 40 and 41 which entitled us to dash plaques in addition to the huge goody bag everyone got. I didn't look at the dash plaque until I got home- nice surprise-

The threatening weather turned beautiful and the cars who were apparently scared off by the predictions started trickling in. I guess there were well over 100 cars there. The only true antiques were two Model T Fords. All the other '20s/'30s/40s and many '50s were rodded. There were classes for EVERYONE including late model trucks, tricked up rice rockets, motorcycles... As it turned out, we were the only Studebaker/Avanti representation on the field.

Gunslinger's '70 is a stunning car- many upgrades extremely well done.

There was an apparent CAS0 who parked a very nice '54 (?) Champion Coupe outside the show. It had a single exhaust, but a Hawk dash and some unknown bucket seats- nice job. Any of you Californians know what the decal on the door means?

The quality of the cars was generally very high and there were some really well done rods.

My favorite was an absolutely stunning '38 Chevrolet two door sedan shown by a 71-year old gent.

How about a golf cart with a 305 Chevrolet engine?

or a '69 Austin Mini with a Honda V-Tech engine (1300 pounds with 200 hp)?

They don't call West Virginia Wild and Wonderful for nothing!
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

What a great-looking show, Paul! Thanks for posting.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

I'm not a Californian, but I can answer the Studebaker door decal question....

THE CALIFORNIA MILLE is a vintage road tour/race that takes place in California each year, patterned after the Mille Miglia in Italy. 2010 was the 20th anniversary of the event.
      Rules/routes/pictures are listed on their website.

20th California Mille - 1000 miles throughout Northern California over 4 days.
      This is their biggest event of the year.

Comment

Great pics, Paul. It turned out to be a great show. The morning rains really cleared out and it ended up a sunny day. There were a lot of super nice cars there to enjoy.

I still love the interior of your car...I bragged to my wife about it.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I really like the side opening trunk lid on that Chevy...
          (Think about old age and shoulder joint pain.....or Dave's ol' noggin..)

The tail light teatment....ehhh.... (opinion injected here)
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

Like all the treatments on that car or not, the whole car was absolutely flawless...a beautifully done car. Something doesn't have to be one's cup of tea to appreciate spectacular workmanship. Here's a car that was there that won the "People's Choice" award...the styling of these Chebbies have never been my favorite, but it was a gorgeous, gorgeous automobile.
            Attached Files
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

The front end was very smoothly finished too. The parking lights/turn signal lights were amber elements inside the headlight reflectors.
              In addition to the neat trunk lid he had reversed the doors from front hinged to suicide style.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul, That 53 Champion with the California decal belongs to Dave Coleman from Summit Point. He joined us on the IDYSD tour last year to Berkeley Springs. The car, he bought in California a number of years ago and drove it most of the way home.. It had some sort of problem and he couldn't complete the trip, but told me that when he was working on it and saw a forged crank in a six cylinder, he was a Studebaker convert.. He renovated the car and added a few of his own touches, like the 5 point safety belts, and the cartoon headliner, etc. He's a good guy to know... master mechanic... owns a Porsche Racing garage...
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                X