A flying Avanti called the "Buzzard"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A flying Avanti called the "Buzzard"?

I have seen this pic before, but tonight I got to thinking about it... A cross between an Avanti and a helicopter? This was found on page 11 of the June 1979 TW (next to an ad for the turtle...). It apperantly was a product of the defense division and was called the "Buzzard". I wonder if a running prototype was ever built???

Chris Dresbach

I can not speculate on weather or not these particular things were ever built, but during my enlistment I had the fortune to find all sorts of abandoned prototype and limited purchase items at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville Al, and at many different training and testing areas in California.

I may have seen the remains of something that looked like your flying Avanti, bat at that time it was in crash landing shape in southern California and was left out on a popular recruit training range for added realism I suppose.

At the time it looked like a broken carnival ride to me.

There have been many things like these that are introduced during war time because that seems to be the only time the funds are free enough for trials.

My best story for this was the Gulf War era shelter-half tent system (A WWII era system) replacement that the Marines purchased after the Army rejected.

These tents made by Eureka were the most expensive kites I have ever flew.

LOL

Comment

Working...
    X