Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Mechanism Studebaker 1949 2R5

Hi,
    The left door window broke down. Literary, it came down and almost disappeared in the door. I was quick to catch it and have fixed it to the frame of the door to prevent it from coming down.
    I took of the inner lining of the door and shot some pictures. What I found is this. There seems to be a fixed vertical rail. Behind the turnhandle is a small wheel that 'tries' to connect into a large wheel. I have two questions:
    1. It looks like there is a deliberate bend in the large wheel but it may also be damaged. Before I go hit it flat (needed to enable the small wheel to 'catch' on the large Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020602small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1732186Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020603small.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1732187Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020604small.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1732188wheel again) I thought I post this question and see to get some thoughts.
    2. Attached to the big wheel there is a fixed rod with at the end a small plastic wheel. It seems this is supposed to move up and down in the fixed vertical rail. But since this is fixed that construction would make the entire thing 'unmovable'.
    Anyone able to tell me how this mechnisme should work? I cannot find any pictures on the internet or in the manual.

Before bending metal I would take the other side apart and compare. The passenger side is usually much less worn than the driver's side for obvious reasons!

I don' t know the truck window mechanism exactly but they are all pretty similar. The small gear on the crank handle turns the bit gear. The big gear moves the lever arm. The metal/plastic/nylon button on the lever arm fits into a slot on the metal clipped to the bottom of the window. Another slider fixed to the window fits into that vertical rail. As the lever arm swings it pushes the window up and down while at the same time the button on the lever arm slides back and forth in the slot on the bottom of the window. The vertical rail and the window frame locate the glass and lines everything up.

This is just speculation but I suspect the button slipped out of the slot on the bottom of the window. This caused the window to flop down inside the door and also allowed the small gear on the crank handle to turn past the end of the large gear. Usually this is prevented by the window reaching the top or bottom of its range of motion. If you are unlucky the u-shaped bit of metal on the bottom of the window rusted out and fell off inside the door. Then you will have to get another one. This used to be common in the old water-cooled VW Rabbits (Mk. I Golf to you!).

The body parts book should have a diagram. If you can't find one let me know and I will scan one out of mine. It is for the pre-war cars but the idea is the same!

Nathan

Comment

Looks like you have a missing tooth on the 'big' gear of the regulator. So you might want to replace the whole thing.

Are you sure that rail in the pic is stationary on the truck frame? It really looks like the runner that the plastic wheel fits into which will lift and lower the window glass. If so, it will be horizontal for proper operation. Might be attached directly to the bottom edge of the glass, or to the metal piece that is attached to the bottom edge of the glass.

edit: on second look at the pic, maybe that tooth isn't missing. Just the coloring in the pic. The geared flat piece should be flat.
      Last edited by BobGlasscock; 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X