Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coverting 63 Lark Radiator for Powershift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverting 63 Lark Radiator for Powershift?

I don't know if this is has been done but i would like to consider doing this. I have pulled the radiator and noticed that bottom of the stock 63 radiator is very shallow unlike my hawk and may not accept a cooling tube for a powershift transmission.

Is the bottom tank of a Lark powershift radiator larger than the stock unit?

Allen
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 08-18-2010, 06:29 AM.
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Rather than modify your radiator, you should consider buying a transmission oil cooler from Summit Racing or Jegs and mount it in front of the radiator like an a/c condenser. You don't have to worry about messing with your coolant radiator and it's more efficient for the transmission. That's what was done to my Avanti when it was rebuilt and there's been no negative issues at all.

The kits aren't very expensive and will install much faster than trying to to change your radiator, if that can be done at all.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

If you must have one, Try looking for a radiator from a parted out Champ Trk with auto trans, a zip van, or 65 or 66 sedan/wagon. Lots of these laying around.

Comment

I just got back the report from the local radiator shop. It's seem the flow from the radiator is at 60%, hence my over heating problem on the extremely hot days. With the 3 major repairs to the core in the past, it's time for a re-core. He is putting in a 3 row core and installing a transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator for when I convert this Lark to a powershift transmission. It seems there are two boss location on the bottom of the radiator already.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

That sounds like about a 600-$700.00 decision, part of which you needed anyway, vs what? $40.00 for a Hayden Oil Cooler?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            Rather than modify your radiator, you should consider buying a transmission oil cooler from Summit Racing or Jegs and mount it in front of the radiator like an a/c condenser. You don't have to worry about messing with your coolant radiator and it's more efficient for the transmission. That's what was done to my Avanti when it was rebuilt and there's been no negative issues at all.

The kits aren't very expensive and will install much faster than trying to to change your radiator, if that can be done at all.
            When I had a '64 8E7 that had a R-1, Powershift (yes a Powershift) and AC, it had the correct truck radiator with the integral oil cooler. I was planning to pull trailers so I re-routed the transmission oil lines with the hot one going to an auxiliary oil cooler as Bruce describes. The line from the cool side of the auxiliary cooler went to the radiator cooler and the original transmission return line remained on the radiator. Never got hot even pulling at 9,000 feet in Wyoming.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              That sounds like about a 600-$700.00 decision, part of which you needed anyway, vs what? $40.00 for a Hayden Oil Cooler?
              I stopped in to the radiator shop on the way to the grocery store. I saw my radiator totally taken apart with the upper and lower sections along with an approxmently eight inch internal cooler waiting to be put back together ... the core will be sent to Montreal for the 3 core to be mounted into the upper and lower bases then it will be soldered together here local at my radiator shop. I should have it back on Tuesday. The eight inch internal cooler has threads in the outer and inner portion of the external fittings. Actually a neat set up. The new radiator will cost $500.00 and it will eliminate anymore over-heating that we experienced twice this summer in the 259. My intention is to build nice R1 engine and couple it to a powershift... I've been collecting parts for 2 years for a 63 Lark HT build (Dana 44 TT, powershift transmission, powershift shifter, shifter tower, bellhousing, 289 engine, vibration dampner etc) but as time goes on it looks like the convertible may get a new drivetrain.

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

.....if your engine block has not had the freeze plugs removed and the innards pressure washed out or equivalent.......you may see some overheating. Every engine block that I have ever cleaned out has always run at or around 160-170 degrees even with an old radiator that had been soldered around and over many times.....

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                  My intention is to build nice R1 engine and couple it to a powershift... I've been collecting parts for 2 years for a 63 Lark HT build (Dana 44 TT, powershift transmission, powershift shifter, shifter tower, bellhousing, 289 engine, vibration dampner etc) but as time goes on it looks like the convertible may get a new drivetrain. Allen
                  Good plan...now she can keep up with you in the Hawk!

Comment

Working...
                  X