Auto Compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Compass

Was reading my 1964 Showroom Album (PD-64-17) and see in the options & Accessories section a description of an Auto Compass:

"Avoid time-consuming and frustrating wrong turns. This precision-built compass keeps you headed in the right direction. Available in illuminated and non-illuminated models."

Has anyone got one of these on their car? This was the first I've heard of it, and I don't imagine it was a popular option?

Also saw the Cargo Cover for the Wagonaire - I recall thinking "what a great idea" when theJapanese manufacturers introduced them in the '80s it must have been. Trust Studebaker to have thought of that back in '64!!!!

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Was reading my 1964 Showroom Album (PD-64-17) and see in the options & Accessories section a description of an Auto Compass:

"Avoid time-consuming and frustrating wrong turns. This precision-built compass keeps you headed in the right direction. Available in illuminated and non-illuminated models."

Has anyone got one of these on their car? This was the first I've heard of it, and I don't imagine it was a popular option?

Also saw the Cargo Cover for the Wagonaire - I recall thinking "what a great idea" when theJapanese manufacturers introduced them in the '80s it must have been. Trust Studebaker to have thought of that back in '64!!!!

John Clements
    Lockleys South Australia
    I have a NOS one somewhere. I bought it because I remember my mom's '64 Challenger 4-door having one!

I have also seen one or two on eBay.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

John Clements
      Lockleys South Australia
      I have a NOS one somewhere. I bought it because I remember my mom's '64 Challenger 4-door having one!

I have also seen one or two on eBay.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

There you go, someone did buy one (smile).

John Clements
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements

Comment

There you go, someone did buy one (smile).

John Clements
          Lockleys South Australia
          John Clements

Comment

There was one in my 64 Cruiser when I got it. Unfortunatly, it indicated West no matter which direction you were headed. No longer there.

Comment

There was one in my 64 Cruiser when I got it. Unfortunatly, it indicated West no matter which direction you were headed. No longer there.

Comment

Larry, your Stude was trying to say "Go West, Young Man, Go West!".

Get me out of Michigan.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                53 Starliner Hardtop
                Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Larry, your Stude was trying to say "Go West, Young Man, Go West!".

Get me out of Michigan.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                  53 Starliner Hardtop
                  Newton Grove, NC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studecruiser

A little known fact: Years before AMC had its Pierre Cardin editions and Ford their Bill Blass Lincolns, Studebaker toyed with the Ward Bond "Wagonmaster" series in honor of their wagon building roots.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studecruiser

A little known fact: Years before AMC had its Pierre Cardin editions and Ford their Bill Blass Lincolns, Studebaker toyed with the Ward Bond "Wagonmaster" series in honor of their wagon building roots.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                      X