Motor id help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor id help?

Please and Thank You. There is a forlorn pair of Champ pickups a friend recently stumbled across.In the bed of one is a Studebaker factory cart holding a V8 4BBL Stude motor with a manual trans attached. The water manifold sits higher than a car manifold,and the trans has a drum on the output which is a parking brake.I am making a SWAG that it is a truck motor.The engine ID pad is too rusted to give up any numbers.This was after I dug the remains of carpet that was covering said motor years ago out of the intake valley.This is not the best picture,but it is all I have.Whatta ya think it is? The Champ it is sitting in is a 1/2 ton V8 manual trans with a floor shift conversion of some sort. I imagine it will fall apart when it gets moved out at a later date.

I think it's out of a c-cab based on the water manifold.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Truck Engine I.D.

Man, that IS badly deteriorated ! YIKES!

The Trucks with the Band Brake are 1 Ton and larger, if you can see the right rear of the block just above the Oil Pan, you can tell if it is a late model Engine (Mid 1962 to 1964) because of the aluminum Oil Filter Adapter (or block-off plate) and maybe Filter, in that location.

(Strike)If you could get it out of the crate and turn it over (right-side up), I can't tell in that mess what's up,(End Strike) I am sure you could scrape and wire brush the Serial Number Pad enough to read it, V-8 Trucks are 3E, 5E, 6E, 7E starting Serial Numbers and that is all you need to I. D. it.

Update: By enlarging the Pic and looking closer I can see that it has the late '62-'64 Yellow Valve Covers with Cap pipes and probably IS a full-Flow Engine, it could even be a H.D. 289 or 259 being from a heavier Truck. Someone sure cared a lot about that Champ at one time, it's a Long Wide Bed Deluxe Cab and has the '59-'60 Lark Regal 4 Dr. Sedan side window surround mouldings added! Really a shame, we are maybe 30 years TOO LATE!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-16-2010, 09:33 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.I WON'T be back out there for awhile.Out of 100 vehicles,only 2 Studes. Sadly most all in the acerage is scrap metal.In the buildings are a few neat cars,but it is going to be a long haul to get them out.Here is a picture of the other truck.a 3/4 ton flat head 6!

Comment

That 2nd. Truck looks like a Standard Cab 1960 Champ, and Could very well be a 5E11 and have a Commander 245 "Big Six", especially in a 3/4 Ton!

I always look for the "humped up" Intake Manifold with square runners, the Champion 170 small six has round straight runners.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-16-2010, 09:19 PM. Reason: Edited Model code, was thinking 1/2 Ton, and put 5E6
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich! How do you remember all that stuff?

Comment

BY really LOOKING at stuff! The 245 head is wider also, but it is sometimes not easy to pick out.

I doesn't help at all that I grew up with these things! Dad was a Studebaker Salesman and always had a new or near new Stude. from the Dealership in the Driveway, usually different every day or few days!

In '59 thru '61 he couldn't keep one of those Lark Demos very long before someone sold it, they sold as fast as they could get them! Sometimes he sold them, sometimes not, he hated that when someone else sold his Demo and he had to go "fishing" on the used car lot for a Car with GAS! Lol!
              Since he paid a Monthly fee to drive a Co. Dealer plated Studebaker, he rarely drove his own Stude.

At Christmas time, he always got a Wagon to get the Christmas Tree. When we moved across town, he brought home a Pick-up, not long after that he bought his '60 Champ. 1/2 Ton that I still have. Dad is gone now, but I cherish each and every one of those memories as the best days of my life.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They sound like wonderful memories Rich. You are a lucky man
                Simon

Comment

Working...
                X