Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great radio story about a 1948 Land Cruiser.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great radio story about a 1948 Land Cruiser.

Today, as part of the the 'Vinyl Cafe' program on CBC Radio (Canada's NPR), Stuart McLean's feature story included an abandoned 1948 Land Cruiser that was discovered by 2 young teen boys on an old mountain trail.

You can download the podcast of the hour long program here http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/pastpodcasts.html?44#ref44

It is the August 14 story called 'The Car'. It was a great story made even better by the inclusion of a Studebaker!
    Last edited by StudeMann; 08-15-2010, 10:55 PM. Reason: clarification
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

WHAT a story! I could almost see those 2 kids in their adventure and their mystification when...but that would give it away ...just listen to it. Well written and with an unexpected twist.

Reminds me of the time....but that's another story.

John

Comment

Thank you, Thank you Jim, that HAS to be one of the best short stories I have ever heard! I think ALL of us would enjoy hearing the CBC Canada Radio Broadcast (Podcast) with SEVERAL unexpected "twists" in it not to mention the '48 Studebaker Land Cruiser!

The link takes you to a huge list of CBC Podcasts, but if you wait for the list to load on your computer, then scan down about 5/8th of the way to: "VINYL CAFE STORIES" Then click on: August 14th, 2009 "The Car"
      then you will find the very well told story.

If you do not want to listen to the whole 54 Min. Podcast of another Story and some songs, slide the slidebar a little less than half way over to 24.50 Min. to listen to the 28 Min. Story "The Car", it's better than GREAT, and very humorous!

It worked fine for me using the Microsoft Windows "Media Player" program I have, it is a MP3 format.

The Link again: http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/pastpodcasts.html?44#ref44
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For anyone who might be interested. His books are every bit as funny.

Terry

Comment

I'm glad a few of you have been able to enjoy this story. Ya gotta love public radio when there are shows like the Vinyl Cafe!

FYI, 'The Car 'is one of dozens of episodes in the life of Dave, Morley, their friends and family that have been written and presented over many years. I never get tired of them. Stuart McLean should be regarded as a Living Canadian National Treasure (not to be confusedf with CN Rail, however).

On several occasions when the stories feature Dave & Morley's son, Sam, I find myself so taken back to my early teen years. The thrill of finding an abondoned car is still strong with me. In another episode, Sam and Murphy (his friend) gather old chemistry sets for the chemicals to make gun powder. Let's say I was exploding with laughter because I have been there, done that, too!

Cheers!
          Jim
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Working...
          X