5 speed tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed tranny?

would it be a nightmare to mount a 5 speed tranny to a stude v8? if possible what would be a good tranny to start with. i am pretty sure furd used borg warner also, and maybe a few others, i am just curious as how hard it would be to get a stude bell housing mounted up to a later model 5 speed and be able to get the clutch working and the shaft on the trans to slip into the studes engine. thanks guys.

notsoslow64
    1964 lark daytona
    bd_marks@yahoo.com

Just look under the Tech Tips portion of the Studebaker Drivers Club website and you'll find a great article about T5 conversions. Here's the link:

Comment

Just look under the Tech Tips portion of the Studebaker Drivers Club website and you'll find a great article about T5 conversions. Here's the link:

Comment

thanks for the tip!

notsoslow64
        1964 lark daytona
        bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

thanks for the tip!

notsoslow64
          1964 lark daytona
          bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Check with Fairborn Studebaker, Phil sells a custom bellhousing to mount a modern 5 spd to the Stude V8. He also sells a hi-torque starter.

FAIRBORN STUDEBAKER OFFERS ENGINE, PERFORMANCE, and SPECIALITY PARTS

3E38
            4E2
            4E28
            5E13
            7E7
            8E7
            8E12
            8E28
            4E2
            59 Lark
            etc

Comment

Check with Fairborn Studebaker, Phil sells a custom bellhousing to mount a modern 5 spd to the Stude V8. He also sells a hi-torque starter.

FAIRBORN STUDEBAKER OFFERS ENGINE, PERFORMANCE, and SPECIALITY PARTS

3E38
              4E2
              4E28
              5E13
              7E7
              8E7
              8E12
              8E28
              4E2
              59 Lark
              etc

Comment

Say Benny - how about an update on how that bad-assed Lark is running now? Did you ever get the engine to do right???[?]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Say Benny - how about an update on how that bad-assed Lark is running now? Did you ever get the engine to do right???[?]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

biggs- well i went through the carb and got it working better, did yet another valve adjustment, and played with the timing, i was able to get the vaccuum up a bit and get rid of a bit of the flat spot but not much. i think the venturi's on the carb are too big, so the the fuel/air mixture can be right at idle but once there is a load on the engine and everything opens up its just too much air. i can rich it up a bit but it might just bog down. so i am going to try to find a smaller carb to do some troubleshooting. other then that it runs great and gets on it like never before. i been thinking of making a video and sending it out to you or posting it for everyone to check out.

notsoslow64
                    1964 lark daytona
                    bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

biggs- well i went through the carb and got it working better, did yet another valve adjustment, and played with the timing, i was able to get the vaccuum up a bit and get rid of a bit of the flat spot but not much. i think the venturi's on the carb are too big, so the the fuel/air mixture can be right at idle but once there is a load on the engine and everything opens up its just too much air. i can rich it up a bit but it might just bog down. so i am going to try to find a smaller carb to do some troubleshooting. other then that it runs great and gets on it like never before. i been thinking of making a video and sending it out to you or posting it for everyone to check out.

notsoslow64
                      1964 lark daytona
                      bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X