Studebaker Stock Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Stock Cars

I found these photos while playing on the net.

Very cool; thanks for the research and post.

Wow; that #63 is a K-body! I can't believe the poor thing didn't flex enough to pop the doors open in hard cornering and bumps and grinds! Maybe the doors were secured more rigidly after the driver was in.

('Wait'll Bob Andrews sees this collection after he gets back from never-never land.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Super Cool........thx for posting. tempestan

Comment

These are indeed cool pictures thanks for posting them.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

NICE!!!! Thanks for posting....

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Very cool; thanks for the research and post.

Wow; that #63 is a K-body! I can't believe the poor thing didn't flex enough to pop the doors open in hard cornering and bumps and grinds! Maybe the doors were secured more rigidly after the driver was in.

('Wait'll Bob Andrews sees this collection after he gets back from never-never land.) BP
            I believe that #97 is also a 'K'.
            Also, the flexible frames are not a problem when the correct roll cage is installed.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

And it took Mopar another 20 years or so to put a nose on the Superbirds to cut thru the air like the Studebaker

Tom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
                And it took Mopar another 20 years or so to put a nose on the Superbirds to cut thru the air like the Studebaker

Tom
                The Dodge Daytona was 1969 and the Plymouth Superbird was 1970, both less than 20 years from 1953.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That sure is a lot of rounded fender C & K's! I think one or two, lived to be a different Sponsor, color and number.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

FWIW, I saw some of those Stude modifieds race at Daytona. In those days, the 250-Mile Modified race was the supporting race for the Daytona 500-mile Grand National race. There were always two or three Studes running hand-me-down GN engines, usually Pontiac or Oldsmobiles. IIRC, NASCAR GN class had a no-more-than-three-years-old rule and the winning modifieds were usually complete hand-me-down four-year-old GN cars.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

I have a friend who owns this '55. Some where along the line, I have heard that it was an actual race car once owned by one of the Allison's (of NASCAR)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC00405.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1663059
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Back in about 1958-1959, I helped a friend build a stock car out of a 1956 Golden Hawk.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          I believe that #97 is also a 'K'.
                          Also, the flexible frames are not a problem when the correct roll cage is installed.
                          Agreed, Jerry. While the #97 driver is standing in front of the "B" pillar area, there would be part of the door frame visible at the top of the front door if it was a "C" body. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            The Dodge Daytona was 1969 and the Plymouth Superbird was 1970, both less than 20 years from 1953.
                            Sorry Gary , 17 years or LESS, provided these photos were taken in 53, didnt mean to step on any Mopar toes.
                            Tom
                            sigpic

Comment

Some where along the line, I have heard that it was an actual race car once owned by one of the Allison's (of NASCAR)
                              I'd like to know more about it, especially if it is an Alabama car. However, I don't remember it as an Allison car. I was driving a '56 Hawk and into Studebakers even then and worked with Bobby Allison on his cars. He was running a '57 Chevy in the modified class. If that '55 were Bobby's car, I'd most likely have seen it. Donnie Allison was running out of another shop, but I would think someone would have mentioned it to me if he were running a Stude anywhere. Ask your friend where he bought the car and from whom.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X