Studebaker use of "The Viewmaster"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker use of "The Viewmaster"

While at the Glendale meet in June a gentleman approached and inquired about Studebakers use of the Viewmaster as a sales tool. I was certain that I had a few of the small “projectors” but could not recall for certain how many reels I had and for what years. I remembered only the 1954. After doing some digging I also found two different reels for 1959 (with one duplicate), one for 1960 and two different for 1961. Does anyone have any others besides the years 1954, 1959, 1960, 1961 and is there a second reel for 1960?

For some who may not be familiar with these they are similar to the old wooden stereoscopes that were common in the late 1800 and early 1900’s. The new plastic Viewmasters (introduced in 1939) allowed the viewer to see colorful three-dimensional images using a special “hold to light” projector as shown in the image above. A small lever allowed for advancing the images that were on a 3 1/2" reel made of thin cardboard. Each of mine has 14 images allowing for seven different views in 3-D. I know Studebaker offered these directly to dealers for a nominal price because I have some of the promotional literature on them. It is my guess that there were not many “takers.”
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Richard,

I have seen a 1964 Chrysler Viewmaster reel, which had all the 'new' models for that year. I believe the one I saw years ago was a 'teaser' reel as all the cars were partially covered, showing only the grilles, rear ends, etc.; the rest of the car being covered under a tarp.

Craig

Comment

I know exactly what your refering to Richard

I grew up with one of these

And have only looked at one of these in a museum.

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I have a stereopticon and remember the Viewmaster very well....
        I would love to view the pic's some time...
        Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1281688626

While at the Glendale meet in June a gentleman approached and inquired about Studebakers use of the Viewmaster as a sales tool. I was certain that I had a few of the small “projectors” but could not recall for certain how many reels I had and for what years. I remembered only the 1954. After doing some digging I also found two different reels for 1959 (with one duplicate), one for 1960 and two different for 1961. Does anyone have any others besides the years 1954, 1959, 1960, 1961 and is there a second reel for 1960?

For some who may not be familiar with these they are similar to the old wooden stereoscopes that were common in the late 1800 and early 1900’s. The new plastic Viewmasters (introduced in 1939) allowed the viewer to see colorful three-dimensional images using a special “hold to light” projector as shown in the image above. A small lever allowed for advancing the images that were on a 3 1/2" reel made of thin cardboard. Each of mine has 14 images allowing for seven different views in 3-D. I know Studebaker offered these directly to dealers for a nominal price because I have some of the promotional literature on them. It is my guess that there were not many “takers.”
          Dick
          Checked out my viewmaster but it only has version two for the 1961 Studebakers. Jim.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Any chance you guys can reproduce a pic or two for those of us that threw away our Viewmasters long ago???

Comment

Each image on the reel is exceedingly small measuring only approx. 3/8" square so they would not reproduce very well.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Boy oh boy, from the View Master to Youtube we have come a long way in 50 years. Amazing the entertainment we once enjoyed. It seems so simplistic looking back.

Comment

Working...
                X