61 Hawk Production Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Hawk Production Order

I just received the production order for my 61 Hawk. It looks like my power steering was removed, maybe by the same person who removed the 4 speed.

Anybody have any photos of a car that was desert sand color.

I think I know what everything is except item 14. Is that just saying it has a 4 Bbl carb?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

#14 would be the interior trim number and color, the 'BR' standing for Brown. Here is a link to one in Desert Sand:

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 08-12-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

When you say power steering and four speed removed, are you sure that it is the same car and not a different car that now has that serial number plate? I also note that you are clear across the country from where that Hawk was shipped to. Do your body number (easy plate to change) and engine number match the build sheet?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe that when it says "SOLD RUSH" that it was a car ordered as equipped, by the buyer, not ordered for dealer stock. It was very well equipped!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just got the car yesterday, I haven't verified all the numbers against the build sheet yet. That will be done tomorrow. I bought the car from a guy in Washington state, so it was still in the right area before I got it. I examined the S/N tag very closely. No evidence of tempering. The original spot welds are there, no knicks or dings that make it look suspicious.

I know the 3 speed is not supposed to be in this car because of the way its done. It has what appears to be a home made floor shift, no kick-out switch on the throttle linkage and no lockout handle. The overdrive is controlled by a little toggle switch attached to the side of the shifter.

The power steering is more of a mystery to me. I have never seen one of these cars with power steering in it, so I am trying to figure out what it should look like from the service manual and the parts book.

Anybody know if it should have the bendix or saginaw type in a 61?
          Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Started going over the car in a little more detail today. The Body tag matches the build sheet for the S/N. The engine does not. I am guessing that the engine and trans were swapped as a pair, hence the reason I no longer have a 4 spd.
            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	252393C2-2BF1-4131-9C5D-D086C025B705.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1687650
              Just got my build order today. What is "X65 Wheel Disc" mean? Is this the hubcaps?
              sigpic
              1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

No, actually they are Wheel Covers.

Very few self respecting Dealers would allow a Hawk out on the street with those terrible looking '61 extra deep, "curb scraper" Hub Caps.
                I wonder if Wayne's Car had the Wheel Covers added at the Dealership?

Wayne, does your Car actually have split Bench reclining Seats like a Lark as the P.O. indicates (Independent Reclining Seat -IRS), or is that just a typo for Reclining Buckets?

Opps, I forgot this is a 3 year old string, I guess I will not get an answer any time soon, who ever looks at their old posts anyway!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me StudeRich!
                  sigpic
                  1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Must be a typo or incorrect description, mine has reclining buckets.

It also has those original ugly 61 hubcaps. Those are going to turn into a set of wire wheels when the car goes back together.
                    Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      I guess I will not get an answer any time soon, who ever looks at their old posts anyway!
                      NO comment!

Craig

Comment

That's FUNNY Craig! You are probably the only person who has a File Folder for them ALL!
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X