50 Champion 2 door street rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Champion 2 door street rod

This is the 50 Champion that Skinny helped me build...pretty cool car.

Edited.....this isn't mine,,,bummer. It was built for a customer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by highpockets58; 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM.

Skinny and yourself have done a fine job.
    Welcome to the group, becareful that you don't end up bringing home one of Skinny's Marshall Larks or truck projects. You can never have just one Studebaker. And he seems like he'd be the right type of friend to help you out with the Stude itis.
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
      ....he seems like he'd be the right type of friend to help you out with the Stude itis.
      Funny you should mention that, I did sell him my stock '50 Champion quite a few years ago. He overhauled the six and drove the car all over, but ended up selling it later. You're right.....maybe it's time he got a Stude project from somewhere close by......

The '50 in the pics is a customers car, built pretty much the way they wanted it. It took a few years from the time it was pulled from the trees, but was finished a couple years ago. Ron incorperated a lot of cool touches that don't jump out at you right away. He's a blue oval guy at heart, but maybe if I keep bugging him with all my Stude talk...........
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Little contest/trivia. Check the 3 pictures and see how many modifications you can find. Not the real obvious things like steering wheel, seats, no front bumper, etc., but see what else you spot. There's at least a dozen changes done,,,see how many you spot. This was a fun project, but was very challenging.

Comment

Very nice custom/rod! I love the slightly lowered look without the front bumper.

I am a bulletnose fan whether thay are stock or rodded. I am currently restoring my 51 Land Cruiser but I would still like to do a 2 dr sedan something like you have done. For 20 years I had an old rusty 51 Starlight Champion that I had similar plans for but I realized it was too far gone for me. I sold it to a body man a couple of years ago and he has done a nice job with it. Lowered, vents filled, bumper removed, ghost flames etc.

Good job, gentlemen!

Cheers!
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

OK, I'm no bullet nose expert but I see the drip rails are modified, door handles and fender vents are gone. All the trim on the car is gone, aka nosed and decked(that should count for multiples), windshield looks like it has been set in or Frenched for lack of a better term, the trunk handle and lock are gone, it has dual exhaust, very neat digital dash and AC and next?

Pat

P.S. I really like the car, well done
            Last edited by Pat Dilling; 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Well done, You have alot to be proud of, enjoy the ride...

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                OK, I'm no bullet nose expert but I see the drip rails are modified, door handles and fender vents are gone. All the trim on the car is gone, aka nosed and decked(that should count for multiples), windshield looks like it has been set in or Frenched for lack of a better term, the trunk handle and lock are gone, it has dual exhaust, very neat digital dash and AC and next?

Pat

P.S. I really like the car, well done
                You have caught quite a few of the mods. The drip rails are stock. Windshield isn't frenched, but is "V-butted", (center divider removed and the glass is angle cut in the middle and then sealed with a very expensive clear silicone sealer.) Trim is mostly removed, doors and trunk are electric latches with remote control. Still several other mods,,,I will list them tomorrow,,,just in case someone else wants to comment. Thanks for the compliments.

Comment

Thats very nice, and motivating.
                  My car will look much like that but a 52 hard top (body) and all the rest 50 including a dash like yours.

I just want to get it done so I can finally drive my car.

Dean.

Comment

I think it's great to see folks resurrecting these sedans rather than parting them out to feed the Coupes and Convertibles.
                    Still a much sleeker design than those offered by the "big three" in 1950.
                    I talked a friend of mine in to a '52 Champion two door. We proceeded to do a 99% stock restoration. He loves to drive it every chance he gets.
                    He joined SDC and is now nearing completion of a modified M5 that was purchased in baskets.

SAVE THOSE SEDANS!
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It is a really nice and well-done car. I would like to see more pix of the interior. I see these changes that haven't been mentioned:
                      1. Electric wipers
                      2. Non-stock rear bumper (what's it from?)
                      3. No fuel door? Its hard to tell from the pictures.

Enjoy it, drive it, keep it rollin'!
                      Last edited by Lothar; 08-13-2010, 05:45 AM.
                      John
                      1950 Champion
                      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                      Holdrege NE

Comment

Looks like the instrument panel was brought out away from the cowl a couple of inches. Nice car.

Comment

You guys have caught almost everything. Keen eyes. The rear bumper is a 50 Commander. The gas door is relocated. I cut the door/hinge section from a donor and built it into the inner trunk area. The neck is still in the same general location, but just accessible from in the trunk. The dash has been extended back a few inches to allow clearance for the Vintage Air system. I will attach the only other dash shot I have. That shows the center speaker area is a modified 50 Commander piece also with the AC controls/vents installed. There is the Secret Audio display down below and there is a 10 CD changer along with the main stereo box under the front seat. Few other things, front fender vents are gone and the fender seam is welded/filled so there is just the one seam there, not 2. The front of the front fender seams are smoothed also. These are such a sleek car that just a little extra attention makes them soooo smooth. The rear fenders are welded on/smoothed also. The electric latches for the doors were a major job. I couldn't make the latches fit in the doors, so they are in the main body, the stike pins are in the doors. I will attach a pic of that area that also shows the seats and also notice the 3 point seat belts. I haven't seen the car in a couple years, the owner seldom drives it. If I was only rich,,,I would have it and be enjoying it. Nobody has asked about the engine/trans. yet and although it isn't Stude (sorry), I promise it isn't a SBC. Skinny wired this with a Ron Francis kit. With all the extra electric goodies,,,,wow. I'm glad he did it,,,not me. Thanks again for the welcome and the kind words.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X