Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would a '57 Packard be worth, in project condition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would a '57 Packard be worth, in project condition?

Hey guys,

I MIGHT (It's only a possibility, but I want all my cards in line just in case I need to do a rescue mission....) have a chance at a '57 Packard. It looks to be in fairly good original shape; but has a frozen engine missing the supercharger. It appears all the rest of the needed parts are still present though. I'll try to get a few pictures soon (My dad snagged a few when he saw it), but it looks pretty darn good in the pictures! I don't see ANY major rust, if any at all. He says he didn't see any noticeable rust through, and none in the fin area. (I hear they like to rust out under the trim in the rear 1/4). I want to say it is a Caribbean, but I can't remember for sure.

Sorry for the not so great discription, but I'll update that as I am able to. But what is the going rate for these? Is there a market for good driver condition ones; if I fix it up?

Thanks!
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

I could be wrong because I don't know Packards that well, but for 1957 I would guess that it's a Clipper, not a Caribbean.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

The last real Packards and the Caribbean model designation was 1956.

If it is a '57, it is Studebaker in everything except trim. You'll get more informed opinions, but the resale hasn't kept pace with the cost of body restoration. If you can do the work yourself, you'd have fun with a unique ride and maybe break even when you sold it. The good news is all the mechanicals and most body parts are still available and reasonable.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Hi Silverhawk

The right price depends completely on the condition of the car in question. I've tracked the prices of '57 Clippers for a number of years now. They've ranged from $400-$500 for parts cars or ambitious restorations up to $15,000 for primo examples. Most fall into the middle/lower end of the range.

Since the car is basically a '57 President Classic with upmarket Packard trim with Golden Hawk engine, being a '57 sedan is always going to limit the demand for these cars. The rear fender rust problem, in addition usual Studebaker sedan problem areas, for the rear quarters stems from the overlay stamping they welded on to the lower half of the quarter to give them the character lines leading into the taillight mountings. Another consideration is the high amount of pot-metal chrome trim used to give the car it's unique appearance.

You might want to spend some time on this website to educate yourself about the '57 Clipper:
        This website is a free public information store about the vehicles manufactured by the Packard Motor Car Company (PMCC). This include information of the following keywords: packard, car, vin, decoder, ultramatic, clipper, patrican, caribbean, hardtop, convertible, pac, pmc, pi, panther, daytona, thunderbolt, 288, 327, 356, straight 8, l8, v12, senior, junior, Henley, stb, sc, service, technical, bulletin, counselor, manual, 120, 110, 160, 180, 110c, 110b, super, super8, eight, 1956, 1955,1954, 1953, 1952, 1950, 1949, 1948, 1947, 1946, 1942, 1941, 1940, 1939, 1938, 1937, 1936, 1935, 1934, 1933, 1932, 1931, 1930, 1929, 1928, 1927, 1926, 1925, 1924, 1923, 1922, 1921, 1920, 1919, 1918, 1917, 1916, 1915, 1914, 1913, 1912, 1911, 1910, 1909, 1908, 1907, 1906, 1905, 1904, 1903, 1902, 1901, 1900, 1899, forum, v8, information, help, parts, info, specs, specifications

And, if I can help you or answer questions about those cars, don't hesitate to ask me directly. I will gladly answer any questions to the best of my ability or search out the answer. I'm still looking for a nice driver example for myself.

Steve

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll try to get pictures asap up for you guys to see.

And yes, I forgot about the name problem. I'm running on super low sleep, so I'm kinda forgetful at the moment, sorry 'bout that!
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

If it needs a supercharger and an interior, the price would need to be near zero, assuming that you do your own work, to make sense of a purchase.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Price varies so much based on condition and cost of repair. For example try finding an nos right rear fender for this Clipper. Tougher yet is the overlay. I just sold a 57 Packard station wagon overlay (right side) to an individual who took and had it cut and modified by his body guy to fit his 57 Packard sedan. Low end is $200 and high end for the sedan is 18k Post some pics and we can give you a more accurate review. take care

Comment

Ok, finally got some pictures uploaded! Yahoo!
                Attached Files
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by silverhawk View Post
                  Ok, finally got some pictures uploaded! Yahoo!
                  Better pics:

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Thanks much dude!
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I would start at about 800.00 if the floors and trunk were rust free.

Comment

From what I hear, they are; but I have yet to check. Thanks!

Oh, and I forgot to add: this car's title was dissapeared on them. They DID have it, and have owned the car for many many years. So, I don't think it would be too hard to get another, from what I have seen online with the WDOL.

How much are supercharger cores usually?
                        Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dylan, check the glove-box or ask them if they have some old, current or last REGISTRATION CARDS, that will be a big help to re-instate the Title, you may have wait 3-5 years to get the Title, but you can register it and drive it in Wash. that way.
                          And since you know who the owner is, there could be a better way, by having them file for a lost Title and saving you all that hassle and VIN Inspection/Verification fees (the WASP gets paid to do that, PLUS their regular salary your Dad already pays, go figure!) etc. Check the WDOL website for more info.

Good luck.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Silverhawk

If you can buy it for a realistic price, which should be quite low depending upon what you find the mechanical condition to be, I'd jump on it. It looks to be a nice solid car by Eastern standards, though check those usual structural areas for rust just the same. Check those rear quarter panel overlay seams for evidence of rust stains. The upper one is under the stainless trim but usually gives telltale indications along the bottom edge of the trim. The dogleg and very bottom edge over the wheelhouse and rearward were breakout areas.

Check all the potmetal for pitting damage, the car has a lot of it and it is, as you know, expensive to have replated. If you want a list of what is potmetal, message me. From what I can see in th photo the chrome looks very good and complete. The poor interior is no surprise, I've only seen a couple cars with original interior that were good. They used that interlocking rectangle pattern material, looks rich but it must have been cheap by the yard.

What other power options in additon to power steering and brakes are on the car? Is it automatic or stick with overdrive? The latter was optional and rare. How about wonderbar radio? Rear seat speaker? Dual rear antennas? Power windows? Power seat? A/C? Windshield washer?

Love to read and see more about this car when you have a chance. BTW, what are the 57L-#### and body no.?

Steve
                            Last edited by 56H-Y6; 08-20-2010, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Looks like a fun project, Dylan! Good luck with the purchase.

Comment

Working...
                              X