T10 preference for daily driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T10 preference for daily driving

According to the production order, my 61 Hawk originally had a 4 speed trans. At some point in its past life, someone has installed a 3 spd overdrive. I want to put it back like it is supposed to be. I found a guy that has some T10's and the original shift likage, but he asked if I wanted a close ratio or wide ratio. I have no idea. I don't plan on driving the car hard, just puttering around back and forth to shows and maybe to work occasionally.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I wasn't aware that T-10's supplied in '61 Studes had more that one ratio available. I have 2 good ones in stock, btw...

Comment

If you really want to make it original, you need a close ratio T-10 with the Chevy pattern and associated special bellhousing. I'm pretty sure that that was the only 4-speed in '61, unless there was an optional wide ratio version of the Chevy-pattern box (and I assume if that were the case there'd be an option code on your build sheet for same.)

As to what is easier to drive, I don't notice a real difference, honestly. My '62 had a close ratio, my '55 has a wide ratio. The '62 had a 3.31:1 rear while the '55 has a 3.73 (but it does have an aluminum flywheel.) I don't really notice the difference in difficulty launching, honestly - the BMW 330 that I drove this weekend was harder to launch than either due to its apparently feather-weight flywheel. (the BMW was much more pleasant to shift, however, in its defense... and while Studebakers have a distinct and wonderful exhaust sound, so does a BMW straight six... and heel-and-toeing in a Bimmer - really more like "two-sides-of-footing" - is so easy that even I can rip off perfect downshifts like a pre-sequential-box era rally driver.)

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Three opinions, based upon much experience:

1. The 3-speed w/overdrive and a good floorshift is the best all-around manual transmission for a Studebaker.

2. The close-ratio T10 with a 3.73-or-lower rear gear, R2+cam and springs is the best racing transmission.

3. The wide-ratio T10 is really no faster or quicker an all-synchro 3-speed would be. The stock '61 Stude V8 has such a wide torque curve and peaks at such a low RPM, it doesn't make 1/10-of-a-second difference 0-60 if you skip 3rd and go directly to 4th gear. Third gear does make a nice downshift passing gear, however. If you want a daily driver T10, go with the wide ratio. The trannies and bell housings are easier to find and less expensive than the close-ratio, anyway.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Buy one to match your bell housing with the 3 speed your should have the ford pattern bolt spacing, the wide pattern are getting harder to find and so are the transmission, nice to find a full set up if you can, I have had then in the past but sold all and most are now in Australia, good luck, like Jack states 3 speed and floor shift is nice set up with overdrive hard to beat.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Everybody seems to think the 3 spd overdrive floor shift is a nice setup. How much would it affect the the value of the car if I stay with the 3 speed? I am planning on a full frame off restoration.
            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Yes, for resale, having a T10 might be worth a few hundred more than the cost of the conversion, but only a few.
              No,, staying with the 3-speed is not bastardizing the car, as it was a regular option
              Maybe, you should consider it is not an irreversible decision, like a Camaro front clip, a BBC and a top chop. You can always install the T10 at any future date without changing or harming any of your restoration.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

I just sold my T86e from my 56 power hawk a month ago, as I plan to replace it with a 1996 Camaro 6 speed. But, just a couple of weeks ago I purchased a 61 Hawk for my wife with an Automatic. Are these Autos any good or should I be looking to replace it? I was planning to leave her car "stock" with the 289.?????????????????
                Good Roads
                Brians
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Hi, Brian,

The old Borg-Warner automatic in your Hawk was used in millions of Fords, Jaguars, AMC and many others. For a daily driver, it is fine. Parts are readily available.

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 08-16-2010, 06:35 AM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Brian , if you ever want to change that car to a 4spd , I have the bellhousing , clutch, flywheel , 4spd tranny , driveshaft and crossmember out of a '61 hawk . I bought it a few years ago , not sure why but I do things like that <g>
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                      Brian , if you ever want to change that car to a 4spd , I have the bellhousing , clutch, flywheel , 4spd tranny , driveshaft and crossmember out of a '61 hawk . I bought it a few years ago , not sure why but I do things like that <g>
                      I love standards! But this is my wifes car and she is happy it is an Automatic. I just want to know more about the Automatic in her car???
                      But Thanks anyway.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        Three opinions, based upon much experience:

1. The 3-speed w/overdrive and a good floorshift is the best all-around manual transmission for a Studebaker.

2. The close-ratio T10 with a 3.73-or-lower rear gear, R2+cam and springs is the best racing transmission.

3. The wide-ratio T10 is really no faster or quicker an all-synchro 3-speed would be. The stock '61 Stude V8 has such a wide torque curve and peaks at such a low RPM, it doesn't make 1/10-of-a-second difference 0-60 if you skip 3rd and go directly to 4th gear. Third gear does make a nice downshift passing gear, however. If you want a daily driver T10, go with the wide ratio. The trannies and bell housings are easier to find and less expensive than the close-ratio, anyway.

jack vines
                        Jack you may be correct about #2, but I would think only if you are drag racing. In my opinion other forms of racing might well do better with the wide ratio version of the T10.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I was starting to lean torwards the idea of keeping the 3 spd, but then the car finally arrived yesterday. The guy I bought it from told me that it had a 3 spd in the floor, which I knew wasn't factory, but I "ASSUMED" it was done correctly. Well when I started looking it over, I discovered that they didn't install the overdrive kick-out switch and it didn't have the overdrive lockout handle under the dash. Whoever did this just installed a toggle switch on the shifter that powers the solenoid. This means I still have to hunt parts to get it operating correctly.

I think I am just going to install a 4 spd like it was supposed to have to start with.

Anybody got and T10's with linkage avaliable? I will get under the car tomorrow and determine which bolt pattern I need.
                          Wayne

sigpic

Comment

BTW, TX Rebel and 2R5, I sent you both PM's looking for more infor on the T10's and associated stuff you have for sale.
                            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Email sent
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X