• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent sightings...PIX

Seen recently:

65 Commander, Ancaster cruise, July 27

Rare duo at Burlington Mall cruise August 4: 38 Commander and 37 Dictator

Another unusual pair at Pier 4 August 5: 64 GT, 63 Avanti R2

And another duo from the same cruise: 66 Cruiser, 59 Silver Hawk. More of the Hawk shortly...

S.

This '59 Silver Hawk was a very nice surprise, driven in from Guelph for the Pier 4 cruise last week by its owners, a couple with the singularly apt surname of Hawkes. It is a Hamilton-built car. Current owner is the son of the previous owner who acquired this Hawk in 1977; this was its first visit to Hamilton in many years. We're hopeful the Hawkes will join SDC and the Hamilton chapter.

Interior of the '59 Hawk...

More Hawk sightings to follow.

S.

Comment

Went to the huge Bothwell show and swap near Chatham, Ontario, last Saturday (a giant annual event sponsored by Old Autos newsmagazine); will eventually have pix up from that show, at which there were nine Studes among over one thousand vehicles. Some idea of the size of the event can be gauged from the 50-50 draw. The pot ended up being $17,351.50...each way.

Anyway, in the course of getting royally lost trying to take secondary roads home to avoid overtaxing the Lark's six, I spotted this, way up a driveway north of London, and did the best I could with digital zoom from the ditch...I'm not the trespassing sort! I think this is a 56 Power Hawk or possibly a Flight Hawk.

Eventually gave up on rural routes and took 401/403 expressways most of the way home. Stopped at the Paris cruise en route just before everyone started leaving. Five Studes present there, including this beauty...a rare Silver Hawk six.

Interior of the Hawk six.

All in all last week was a good 'un for Stude sightings!

S.

Comment

I want that Silver Hawk! Gorgeous!
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Nice shots, Steve. I'm having no luck getting shots of my 55K up from photobucket. If you ever get to Barrie, bring your camera and I'll buy lunch! Regards, Dave Warren.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Chris--

Which one? The black '59 V8 or the maroon-and-white '57 six?

(There was a '59 Silver for sale here for a while BTW but it has now been sold. Another lovely car. Went to NY.)

Dave--

Aw shoot, I went right by Barrie in the Lark in May on my "Sentimental Journey" to the Campbellford/Belleville area where my car "lived" when new. And actually I got the car not far from Barrie, in Everett, west of Alliston...I'll doubtless be back up that way in future and will plan on dropping by when and if...

S.

Comment

I'll look forward to it, Steve. The car is usually parked on Blake Street next to my sign that says: "Law Office". Forty cars per minute pass by and when people turn to stare at the car, they see the sign, too. People stop, some take pictures. If a cell phone shot ends up on the internet, my sign will be there to. The car sure is creating a "buzz". My old office location was used in a B horror film. At the local premier I was horrified to see a staged murder on my front steps. The Stude sends a much better message (lol).
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                Chris--

Which one? The black '59 V8 or the maroon-and-white '57 six?

Dave--

S.
                I believe that the six is a 1958, not "1957", with 15 inch wheels. It is not THAT rare. There were 2442 1958 Silver Hawk 6 coupes out of 8816 1958 Hawks (7350 1958 Silver Hawks) built.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Great pictures! Of course, I would LOVE to have that 57 or 58 Silver Hawk with the 185 and overdrive. I used to have an automatic black 60 Hamilton Hawk, with a later 259 in place of the original 289, but it sure was HOT. A pretty and light coloured Hawk like that with a 6 and manual would suit me just fine.

Comment

Gary--

Ta...will amend the P'bucket caption...certain details of the front end of the maroon Hawk suggested it might not be a '57. Didn't realize, either, that the proportion of production of Hawk sixes was that large. There can't be many survivors at this late date though...

S.

Comment

Working...
                    X