Bonneville Motor Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonneville Motor Needed

As many of you folks already know, Dan Sallia, AKA "SliverHawkDan" has taken on the dream of his life, the rebirth and racing the "Burke Bros. Avanti", land-speed car. Dan has almost totally refurbished the Burke Avanti, leaving almost nothing untouched and nearly everything improved. Dan has busted his butt to get the funds and parts to get this car back on the track. What a story and what an awesome representation for Studebakers. Dan has already added, notably, to Studebaker, land-speed racing history.

Dan has had the opportunity to race the Avanti once, and that was due to the unbelievable generosity of Karl, of Modesto, CA, who lent his bad boy, dual-supercharged Studebaker racing engine from his own car, "The Twin" to Dan. The first racing outing for the car was successful and Karl's engine was returned to him and re-installed in his Avanti.

Now for the second part, and the rest of the story. Dan was planning on taking the Avanti to Bonneville next. He was promised another Studebaker engine to make his assault on Bonneville. Well, it looks like that is not gonna happen, even as the Burke Bros. Avanti is now in the paint shop, getting it's new paint job for the Bonneville race.

Bottom line, Dan needs a motor. What we 're looking for is a Studebaker motor, the baddest Studebaker motor that we can find to drop in the Avanti. BUT, with reality setting the direction, due to time and bucks issues, we would be satisfied just to find and borrow, (if possible), a "known quality", good running, "dependable" engine that could be slightly modified, probably with a Novi blower, mebbe a cam and springs, etc.. Just a good, basic motor to help Dan realize his dream of making a few passes at Bonneville.

I have offered my motor to Dan, but since I'm on the east coast and Dan is on the west, once again time and money constraints have made it necessary to try to find a motor closer to Dan, first.

As many of you also know, Dan is a cancer survivor, however is again having to do battle with the life threatening disease. I hope that somewhere, one of the many Studebaker people closer to Dan can and will help. In fact, I'm sure that Dan would humbly accept any/all donations and support that we can give. Studebaker people ALWAYS come through...

Thank you in advance!
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

I have been following Dan's story for some time. Pretty amazing work both on the car and his battle against damnedable cancer. Sorry to hear about the planned engine falling through.

Dan's story is an inspiration, and should once again remind us that none of us is promised even one more day; so we should live every one like it's our last: In the way we love people, do our work, and pursue our dreams. One tiny bit of good in illness is that it stirs up our urgency to make checkmarks on the old 'bucket list'. Go get 'em Dan, and God Bless!

I have to believe an engine loan for this cause will be forthcoming. I would by happy to make a donation towards rental and/or shipping of same to Dan and back to the loaner. I also believe many more of us would be willing as well. Wouldn't take much per person to pool the necessary funds, and we could all live vicariously through Dan's exploits.

If you have a good engine candidate for this project, please do step up. We'll figure out how to cover the costs involved. We'll all know we were a part of something truly special, and Dan will have lived a dream- I can't think of a better place for an investment!

Dan- if you read this, God Bless you and your quest. We have never met, but I feel like I know you through your Bonneville mission. I am briefly on the sidelines in my Studebaker dreams, and following your story on Sonny's site has been a treat for me. You and your exploits are well-known in the Studebaker world, and we are your extended, 'virtual' family. Get yourself and your team ready, because I am confident what you need will be on it's way momentarily!

Let's get 'er done!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I have a wrecked 1963 R2 motor that needs a rebulid, it has been sitting awhile. I can pay for the parts, if I can get the engine back in good shape. I have a Paxton blpwer that was rebuilt by Nimish and a chrome R3 Airbox neither have ever been installed. I might consider loaning them if they were returned in excellent shape.
      Allen

Comment

Working...
      X