Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tar covers stapled in fender wells (57 Hawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tar covers stapled in fender wells (57 Hawk)

What are these tar covers primarily used for? Mine are in good shape, covered with thick undercoating but I am sure tempted to tear them off to help clean things up and access for work. Haven't seen these from the vendors so am I foolish to ruin them just ro remove them? My guess is helps keep the engine in a low pressure area for maximum air flow through the radiator as well as maximum road dirt avoidance. I could easily make a sheet metal cover I suppose.

P.S. for all of you who title your topic "Dumb Question" you now don't have to feel so bad as this may top your stupid question..
    Last edited by HammondA100; 08-05-2010, 04:58 PM. Reason: added comment

They are soft because the tire COULD and sometimes DOES come in contact with it, on driveway aprons while turning etc. One of the things they do is prevent cracking an Exhaust Manifold when in rain soaked roads.

Most people just make a pattern from the old one and get some roofing underlayment rubber or other type of sheet rubber and make them.

I don't think a lot of air flow engineering went into the design at all.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think Jim Lawrence (FBN Upholstery) has new ones available, likely so do other vendors.

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Do you mean inner fender splash aprons? They help keep road crap out of the engine compartment. They are flexible because they drape over the control arms.
        SI lists them for '53-'66 all models but, I think they are for sedans only. Their pattern doesn't fit the C/K models.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
          I think Jim Lawrence (FBN Upholstery) has new ones available, likely so do other vendors.

nate
          Thanks - I found his contact info: Jim Lawrence 304 337 8693 (FBN Upholstery inc, in New Martinsville, WV).

Ill be taling photos of these incase someone needs a pattern. They are still good but will tear once I try to pry them off. Some squirrel nested on the AC hoses so they need to go for proper clean-up.

Comment

Working...
          X