Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone near Tacoma WA willing to look at an Avanti for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone near Tacoma WA willing to look at an Avanti for me?

There will be an Avanti sold at auction Sept 9 in Tacoma WA by Bonham's auction service. Currently the vehicle is in the LaMay Collection Museum in Fife WA. Is there anyone interested in inspecting this car for me? I have contacted Bonham's and there is a member of their staff available to arrange the inspection.
    Herb Price
    Burlington IA

You MAY be able to find someone who can arrange that, BUT beware that our BIG CanAM Zone Meet will be held that same weekend Sept. 10,11 & 12 in Bellingham, WA, around 130 miles North of there up Interstate 5. That certainly will make it more difficult, depending on the timing to get into the Museum.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What I am looking for is someone to go to the museum several weeks prior to the auction and tell me what the car is like. I would like the engine number to confirm an R3 engine is still in the car. I would like to know if the A/C is all still there and of course if there is any rust on the frame or hog troughs. Pictures would be very nice. All this could be done long before the zone meet.
      Herb

Comment

Originally posted by herbpcpa View Post
        What I am looking for is someone to go to the museum several weeks prior to the auction and tell me what the car is like.
        All this could be done long before the zone meet. Herb
        Now that we have the WHOLE story-- I'm sure someone can be found.
        The Tacoma SDC folks are as active as they get, helpful, too!!!

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Good I think that should work out for someone in the Seattle/Tacoma area then.

Wait a minute Herb, did you say R3 AND Air Conditioning on the same car? Studebaker was never able to accomplish that on an R2 and certainly not an an R3 because of the Paxton getting in the way. Did someone do that after the fact?
          I am forgetting or never knew the details of the recent post about those 2 Avantis in the LaMay Museum, I guess.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Everything I know about VIN 64R5653 I learned on "Bob's Avanti Resourse Website".

Comment

Someone did

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Good I think that should work out for someone in the Seattle/Tacoma area then.

Wait a minute Herb, did you say R3 AND Air Conditioning on the same car? Studebaker was never able to accomplish that on an R2 and certainly not an an R3 because of the Paxton getting in the way. Did someone do that after the fact?
              I am forgetting or never knew the details of the recent post about those 2 Avantis in the LaMay Museum, I guess.
              I remember that being done, some one put a/c on an Avanti at some time in the past that had a supercharger....I seen it in Turning Wheels a long time ago.....I think that was were it was.......If I remember right, the A/C compresser was located on the left side, and I think the battery was relocated to the trunk......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Well sure it has been done several times, but that is a Custom. OK, you mean this car R5653 re-numbered:

The Engineering Prototype "EX" car with the resale Red paint job.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X