Tire size options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size options

I didn't have any luck using the search feature, so I'll ask a question that's probably been asked a zillion times. What radial tire size should I put on my '55 president sedan. I have a set of rims from a '66 that I think I'll use, but didn't know what size tire to buy. There are a couple of 205/15 tires on the front of it now but they almost look a little small.
    thanks,
    Mike Sal

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
    I didn't have any luck using the search feature, so I'll ask a question that's probably been asked a zillion times. What radial tire size should I put on my '55 president sedan. I have a set of rims from a '66 that I think I'll use, but didn't know what size tire to buy. There are a couple of 205/15 tires on the front of it now but they almost look a little small.
    thanks,
    Mike Sal

205x15's are the best choice.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

You should measure the bead to bead (inside) dimension of those '66 Wheels, they could be 5 in. wide like the '55's were, if so they should be able to handle the P215X75R15 tires easily, especially on a President (State) Sedan. If they are 4 1/2 in. like most, the P205 is pushing the limit.

Also be aware that Brands do make a difference, the width and sometimes even a bit of the height varies.
      If you are not looking for the high dollar Coker Classic Wide White Walls, there are TWO Co's. still making narrow white walls and 75 Series Tires, most others are gone and all will be soon.

That would be the Firestone (OEM Brand) FR380 and the Cooper Trendsetter SE.
      The Cooper is 26.98" tall in 205, 27.55 in 215 both are very close to the recommended tread width mentioned here today of: the same as wheel width 5 in. And the Firestone in 205 is 27.1 and 27.7 for the 215

In searching the web and locally for the P205's I have found them from $55.00 to $81.00 ea. and of course the Mail (Web) order tires have no mounting, balancing, Stems or sales Tax, but do have shipping which to me would be $64.72 for (5).
      The Cooper Tire is at the higher end of the scale, but is the ONLY Tire Mfg. still American made AND American owned.

These are the only 2 tires I could find that are suitable for all '63 to '66 Studebaker Cars, and quite nice looking, though not correct on '47 to '62's. I exclude the Classic Tires, because they are not a good value for the money and the quality and mileage is less.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ya, this car will be no better than a driver as long as I own it, so hi dollar tires are not on the menu. Also, fortunately I can mount & balance my own tires as I bought the coats 2020 tire machine & balancer from a local gas station that was being converted to a convenience store (hmmm, how convenient, you can buy a slurpy, but can't get a car serviced....).

In looking at the old 205's that are on the front of the car, they just look like they ought to be bigger, but I didn't know if there would be any fit issues with the back fenders. It has some tall bias ply tires & rims from an Avanti on the back (Don't know what happened to the original back wheels) & they are just touching the the fenders.

thanks,
        Mike Sal

Comment

I'm running 205x75R 15 tires on my Lark VI and I'm very pleased with their performance.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

This topic comes along about every three months. A search will find dozens of threads about tire recommendations and wheel interchanges.

Bottom line first, I consider any Stude OEM rim unsafe for radials and today's highway speeds. Yes, some are thus far still tootling along just fine. However, talk to the Avanti owner who just did $5k worth of paint and body damage because a rim fatigued and broke from running 215/75-15s for several years.
            There are a couple of 205/15 tires on the front of it now but they almost look a little small.
            FWIW - The 205/75R15 are actually oversized for the Stude. It is your eye and your perception which has changed. Seeing Vipers running 315/30-19"s tend to distort our perspective of what looks right. Suggest looking at some car ads and factory photos from the '50s and remind ourselves just how skinny those tires were back in the day.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I was basing my notion on visually looking at the front wheel opening compared to the tire itself (a black wall, btw). I want to put new tires on the state sedan in time for the "drive your studebaker day" & wanted some input before spending the money. I guess I could pick up a set of 205's & see what they look like. If I don't like them, I could put them onto the '66 & then buy some 215's for the big car.
              Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
              X