WCFB Base - 4-small vent holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCFB Base - 4-small vent holes

As I am putting back to gether the carb I noticed 4-strange holes one for each throttle valve. I found the description in a old WCFB book (Vapor Vent Openings). These exit on both sides under the base of the carb (cast ioron part) to relieve pressure when parked. On later Carter units they incorporated a seal cap which opened only at idle.

Apparently this was a modification for later years as my 55 manual doesnt show it.
    My concern is it may act as a venturi and although proper tining and adjust this carb will work swell, this almost verticle hole could act as a venturi carrying in dust and debris.... Just doesnt seem like a smart idea.. Not only that couldn't that reduce vacuum at low speeds causing hesitation problems? Perhaps this caused a number of problems which other areas were diagnosed??

Also what years did the WCFB have the vent valve button on the top of the pump cover? I'd like to get that accessory.

I am trying real hard to remember where I saw those pop-it bowl vents on top, and I think it is on Chrysler or Buick etc. applications. I had one WCFB on a '56 Stude. President that had a small round high dome on top of a small pipe to possibly vent or equalize pressure.

I do know that all of the early Stromberg 2 Brls. used on Studes. with the rear draft top, have two small bleed holes in the back of the base one on each venturi, so those holes are not too unusual..
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-01-2010, 10:51 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X