Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identify Studebakers based upon serial numbers- Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify Studebakers based upon serial numbers- Please!

Greetings all,

I posted this on another forum and meant to post here too!

My story- skip this part if you want!

I recently came across what I thought was a great deal while looking for a family project car to restore. I found for sale what was listed as a 1927 Studebaker Commander. Having very little experience and just going with my gut instinct I thought why not it should be fun!

Well I have had a wonderful time researching but before I start anything I want to positively identify the cars. You will note that I posted Cars!

When I went to purchase the listed car, there was another car- already in disassembly stored next to it with some paint work, etc already completed!

The thought was that one car had been purchased to provide parts for the other. I ended up buying both cars and several containers and boxes of Studebaker parts for $1500.00.
    I was not sure but- felt that I had made a good deal!

Upon return home with my treasures and having started the long process of inventory of all the parts that where included (filled a trailer-two pickups and a car hauler) I am now here posting for help.

I believe- based upon my research- the titles are incorrect! They list the cars as a 1927 Commander and a 1922 4 Door Sedan
    The first serial number is 4002781 - I believe this to be a 1928 GB Commander
    The second serial number is 1303532- I believe this to be a 1926 ER Standard 6

I have several numbers from the engines but have not been able to determine which are correct for identification.

Attached are some pictures for clarity. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers and happy motoring!
    Joe
    Attached Files

Pre-war info needed !

Welcome Joe! The silence is deafening isn't it?

Hang in there though, I would guess that 95 to 98% of us Forum members are Post War Car guys and gals, so info on one that old will be slow coming, just wanted to let you know we are not ignoring you.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Correct for the Standard Six. Incorect on the Commander. It is a 1927 model EW. I have lots of data on both. Incidentally nothing will interchange on these two cars. You should join the Antique Studebaker Club. They specialize in 1946 and earlier Studebakers only. Phone 763-420-7829 for the membership office and join using your credit card. Lots of owners of both of these cars in that club.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

What Richard said, JDN. They may look similar, but that is as far as it goes. Also, in the '20's Studebaker changed things on the fly, they didn't do yearly changes. There are differences between early and late 1927 models.

Terry

Comment

If you go to the S.D.C. home page, look under tech tips there is a list of 6 cylinder engine serial numbers and their application. On the firewall (engine side) there should be a tag with body and model and year information. Send it to the forum to decode it.
          Last edited by doug; 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Here's a link to the ANTIQUE STUDEBAKER CLUB.

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the poke and the friendly help!
              Its greatly appreciated!

Joe

Comment

Richard- I apprieciate your response.

I would love to get any and all the data on these cars you would be inclined to share.

I am not sure where to go from here but I am hoping to one day have a beutiful car to share with others.

Joe

Comment

Cheers to you all and thank you for the wonderful help!

Comment

Working...
                  X