'55 Commanser or President headed for CA from PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 Commanser or President headed for CA from PA

I was traveling west on Rt 30 near Raccoon Creek State Park in Western PA (Beaver County) driving my Volvo Wagon when I spied a green & white Commander or President coming towards me.

I later learned from a friend of mine that the driver pulled into his driveway because he saw the '66 Commander parked under a carport. He told my friend that he was from CA and was taking the '55 to East Liverpool OH to meet a transport truck that would take the '55 to CA.

Neither of us had ever seen the car. Apparently the man is a Forum member, but I cannot find a thread about this car. It's a beauty. I hope he posts about his adventure.
    JWW

Sedan or Coupe?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Sedan or Coupe?
      4dr sedan Looks like the one in Gary1953's after dinner mint, 7/27/10

JWW
      Last edited by JWW; 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I wanted to bump this back to the top to see if anyone had more information on this '55. I'm curious because I have a couple myself -- a Commander (not Commanser (sic) 4dr and a Conestoga. I must have looked at this thread a couple dozen times and only tonight did I notice that I mispelled "Commander" in the title.

Our family car when I turned 16 was a '55 Commander 4dr, the only Studebaker my father ever purchased.

JWW

Comment

Originally posted by JWW View Post
          I was traveling west on Rt 30 near Raccoon Creek State Park in Western PA (Beaver County) driving my Volvo Wagon when I spied a green & white Commander or President coming towards me.

I later learned from a friend of mine that the driver pulled into his driveway because he saw the '66 Commander parked under a carport. He told my friend that he was from CA and was taking the '55 to East Liverpool OH to meet a transport truck that would take the '55 to CA.

Neither of us had ever seen the car. Apparently the man is a Forum member, but I cannot find a thread about this car. It's a beauty. I hope he posts about his adventure.
          JWW
          That was Bob Johnstone's ex-'55 President. He sold it several months ago and the buyer just picked it up. It was a real bargain. It could easily have been driven all the way to California like it was in 2003 when Bob drove it on our Potomac Chapter Route 66 trip (http://www.studebaker-info.org/Route66/tripticket.html) You will see it a number of times on this web site.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I remember that Bob had sold his, but didn't put 2 & 2 together. I'd like to have had it myself.

John

Comment

That 2003 trip looks like a really neat event. The '55 is a very nice car.

Charlie D.

Comment

Working...
              X