Gold Mylar on Packard Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Mylar on Packard Hawk

Spent a lot of time agonizing over applying the gold mylar. We were going to spray the contact cement, but the stuff we had was too thick and didn't thin very well so we brushed it on. Went better than expected. Still have a lot to do on the inside. May have to wait 'til Fall since it's been so hot in the Northeast.

Larry Y
    North Wales, PA

Looks like you're well on your way to having a great Hawk. Don't know that I would have tried it.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

The Hawk is looking great Larry. Can't wait to see a picture of it loaded up on the back of your Transtar hauler.

Comment

Beautiful Paint job, that's looking great.
        I thought the Gold Foil was quilted, is smooth all they have now? I would think someone would make it for the Plymouth Furys and other Chrysler Prods.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is quilted. May be hard to see in the picture. I had a roll of the original stuff, but it was too old and had some creases in it. I got the reproduction mylar which is much thinner but looks very similar.
          Larry Y
          North Wales, PA

Comment

Your car looks really outstanding! I always loved the look mylar gave cars like the fins on a 56 Plymouth Fury in addition to the Packard Hawk which has been on my wish list practically all my life along with its predisessor, the 56 Packard 400. Great pictures & looking forward to seeing it finished, which looks to be real soon!!!
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by larryyano View Post
              I had a roll of the original stuff, but it was too old and had some creases in it.
              A good vinyl upholstery steamer would probably help to get those creases out. Try a good auto upholstery shop. They may be able to save that original roll for you. Good luck; that car looks absolutely outstanding.

Comment

Darn it, Those Packards are starting to grow on me.

Nice car, great work

Bob

Comment

Well done!
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Where did you purchase the mylar from? How long are their rolls?

Comment

Mylar was purchased from Southeast Studebaker. Came in 2 pieces. The piece you see in the picture is one piece uncut. Their number is 865.525.6151
                      Larry Y
                      North Wales, PA

Comment

Has anyone ever considered simply applying a gold metal flake paint to the fin to resemble the mylar? With all the problems getting the mylar to lay perfectly in place in that curved location and stay put, together with the expense of purchasing the newer (non-original) reproduction mylar, I think this might be a viable option. The substrate needs to be painted any way, so the mylar could always be added later. Has anyone else tried this route, and, if so, how did it turn out?
                        Last edited by PackarDan; 11-29-2015, 01:21 PM. Reason: no response in 2011
                        Dan Marrin
                        My Packards; '40 120 sed, '41 Rollson sed, '48 Victoria conv, '48 Super 8 limo, '58 Hawk
                        I live summers in Breezy Point, MN and winters in Sistersville, WV

Comment

The quilted Mylar for Packard Hawks has been reproduced several times over the years. In the past, I remember it as having an adhesive back.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X