Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concerned about oil pressure,idiot light came on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerned about oil pressure,idiot light came on!

Just changed the oil in the re-built 289 after about 250 miles of driving.start it up and "OH NO!" the idiot light came on for the first time ever since owning this Champ with either engine in it. so I hooked up a 64 Lark type gauge to the driver front of head,and according to this I have about 55 pounds pressure,maybe a tad more assuming it's about accurate? can I assume the idiot light is strictly coincident? or?(I feel it is,but has anyone been here and what of it?)

THANKS FOR ANY EXPERIENCED HELP!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

If the wire going to the idiot light sender is shorted to ground anywhere, the light will be on.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
      Just changed the oil in the re-built 289 after about 250 miles of driving.start it up and "OH NO!" the idiot light came on for the first time ever since owning this Champ with either engine in it. so I hooked up a 64 Lark type gauge to the driver front of head,and according to this I have about 55 pounds pressure,maybe a tad more assuming it's about accurate? can I assume the idiot light is strictly coincident? or?(I feel it is,but has anyone been here and what of it?)

THANKS FOR ANY EXPERIENCED HELP!
      Yeah, coincedence..even if the Lark gauge is off, it's not THAT far off and not in that direction. Like N8 says, check the wiring for shorts, and then change the sender unit.

Re-thinking: 55 lbs at hot idle? no way.Hot and running, even that's near the top...get even a cheap mechanical gauge at FLAPS and see what's up.
      Last edited by Ron Dame; 07-25-2010, 02:13 PM.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

The unit that your oil pressure light is hooked to is nothing more than a simple pressure switch that has been used on all makes and models of cars for decades and has a long history of failing. If you have an indicated 55 psi with a mechanical gauge at another pressure port, I would bet that if you replace the pressure switch you would be good to go,

Comment

Had the same issue with my Lark.
          I did hook up a Sunpro mechanical under the dash along with the idiot light. I guess it was a security thing.
          The switch in my case was defective.
          59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
          51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
          27 Ford Roadster
          Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

Working...
          X