M series wheel cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M series wheel cylinders

Fellas, I need some help. I put Ford wheel cylinders (1932-1947) on my truck.
    They are similair 1 3/8" x 1 on front and 1 1/8 X 1" on rear. My problem? They are leaking inside the drum. I got new ones figuring maybe I got bad part. Even with the drums off I have a steady stream coming out of the cup.
    Any thoughts?
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

Are the new ones leaking also? Both sides? Steve
    sigpic

Comment

yes, My next move is to adjust the shoes out and see if they aren't adjusted in too much. Problem there is drums won't turn freely
      sigpic

Packardbakerly,
      J.D.

Comment

Could be a badly worn drum too. What kind of brake fluid are you running?

Comment

I've pulled drum off and had wife pump the brake - still have fluid streaming out. Could it be that the cylinders are defective? I had sure cups were in correctly ( and that they were there) Ileaning towards bad parts. Any thoughts??
          sigpic

Packardbakerly,
          J.D.

Comment

I think I've figured it out. Ford wheel cylinders have a 7/16" shaft that sticks out of center of piston where the shoe rest. This is pushing my shoes in too far in tne cylinder allowing fluid to leak past the cup. My son is taking the pistons of a cylinder to work and removing the center shaft. I'll keep you posted. By the way Ford cylinders were only $41.00 each compared to $120.00 to have Stude cylinders resleeved.
            sigpic

Packardbakerly,
            J.D.

Comment

If it is an M5, new Front cylinders would have cost you the same as re-sleeved, and no shipping cores, paying for 2 shipments and waiting for rework.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X