55 President comes home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 President comes home

Brought home another fixer upper yesterday. A good friend was thinning the herd & offered me a President State Sedan, in White over Yellow. If I can ever figure out how to post a picture, I'll throw some up. It's a well appointed car: power windows, steering, & brakes. Push button radio, rear speaker & fog lights. After replacing the condenser, it runs like a top. Shows 53,000 miles & appears to be close to accurate considering the conditon. It appears the car came from near Springfield,IL

Unfortunately, to make it a nice car, absolutely everything would need to be touched. The drivers front fender has a lot of rust, but I have a NOS one for it. The passenger side front fender is bad at the back. All of the upholstery & door panels are water stained.

So....the parts chasing starts all over again.....& I'm not even done with the '66 yet.....

Mike Sal

Hmmm....maybe with my own reply I can post a pic....
    Attached Files

Comment

Yours looks a lot better than mine did when it came home. Yours is the second generation '55, with the w rap around windshield, those front fenders were a 6 month thing, only used on that sedan. feel fortunate that you have them.

Comment

The brakes had been re-done on this car a little over 3 years ago, but it appears that they by-passed the hydrovac & hill holder. Will know more when I've had a chance to get under it.

I think I plan to patch it up just enough to make a driver out of it. That way further improvements can be made a little at a time as parts pop up. Theres a few rust holes in the perimeter around the trunk where the gasket goes & in the bottoms of both B pillars & a little in the rockers. That appears to be the worst of it. We'll see.....
        Mike Sal
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking car, Mike! Loaded up, too. Congrats. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Even has tinted windows. Wow.

Mark

Comment

Looks like it might have one of those "Draw-a-matic" lighters under the clock. (My '51 Land Cruiser has one) And does it have the rare power windows? I see what looks like a door handle, but no window crank.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ya, a fellow member had lubricated the windows while he was doing some other service work to the car before I bought it. All the windows run up & down really well (& fast too). The lighter is missing from the dash (I haven't looked in the glove box yet....funny how I forgot to do that....). The left rear door window does have a crack in it. I wonder how hard it'll be to get a replacement tinted glass?

I shudder to think what the interior is going to cost.....What are some good options for that funky "fabric" type carpet?
                Mike Sal

Comment

I have a couple of replated parking light surrounds, cheap. Early eBay purchase that "said' they would fit a C/K, but you know the rest....
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Ya, I need to "remember" all the stuff that fits sedans rather than C/K's. My problem is I've forgotten all that stuff....darned ole'heimers desease.....

All the rest of you guys who bought those "oh ya, sure it'll fit a coupe" parts, let me know what ya got! I can keep a secret.
                    Mike Sal
                    Attached Files

Comment

Warrlaw....sent you a note regarding those surrounds
                      Mike Sal

Comment

Hmmm - original upholstery on the rear seat and electric windows as well...

Comment

Upholstery....ya I'm really sad about the interior. it's all intact, but it's all really badly water stained. I'll doubt if it will come clean, but I'll try. I have to pull the covers off to replace the foam padding that has turned hard and crumbly. I had to do the same to my '56 president.
                          Mike Sal

Comment

I think it's cool that it's a '55 car & the body number is 5555.
                            Mike Sal

Comment

If the upholstery fabric is still sound, and not rotten, I wonder if you could dye it to hide the water stains? Might be OK for a "driver-grade" car.
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X