Another Studebaker adventure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Studebaker adventure...

Well many of you may remember that I put the 55 President up for sale in early May. It only took two days and I had an email to buy the car..

Although there were a couple interruptions, Dan Manko from Lompoc, California, arrived Monday to take possession and drive her away. Yes, drive her away. We had a great chat and I introduced him to the "Pres". In the previous weeks, I had given the car a complete going over and it was very roadworthy. After priming him about the ways of the car, we went out, gassed her up and he drove the car for the first time, exhibiting a big smile. He was quite pleased with it.
    He had a nearby hotel room for a couple nights and later that evening called stating he had a problem starting it at the hotel. I went over and we cleared everything up. Unfortunately, on Tuesday Am, a similar issue arose and again it was cleared up. Don has a very good demeanor about this entire adventure and around 1Pm on Tuesday, I last saw him taking the ramp to Route 7 west, initially heading toward Pittsburgh, where he grew up. He mentioned that he wanted to do a little sightseeing and then meet a shipper in PIT. He also said he has nine days off, which would might translate to a liesurely drive to California.
    I called him last night just to see where he wound up and it was Williamsport Md, after stopping at the Antietam battlefield and a couple other places.
    I know he has a logbook with him and is making notes. Let's all keep him in our thoughts and hope he has a great time...
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM. Reason: formatting
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I love to read good stories like that. Another satisfied customer. He's a lot braver than me. It would take me a while to take a newly acquired auto on an extended trip.

Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

What was the cause of the starting problems at the hotel? Have they been fixed? Hopefully he'll keep a log of his trip and share it with us when he gets back to California....
      1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

This exact scenario is on my Bucket List- buy an old car from a trusted seller in the West and set out to drive it across the country. This car was the ideal candidate since I would trust Bob and knew he had already been through everything mechanically... and had driven it to CA and back already!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
        X