Shed Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed Find

Bought this 50` starlite coupe for 250.00 bucks. It only has 1 problem, no motor or bell housing. The 3 speed trans was there , but the rest is long gone. So I am searching for a complete 169 motor with the bell housing and all the parts inside the bell housing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Nice find, hope you have good luck with your build.

Comment

WHAT A STEAL! Good luck finding the parts and I hope you have it on the road soon.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

Looks like you have good potential. You did not say if the transmission you have is an overdrive. If it is not...look for a complete set up including an overdrive. Good luck and make sure to join your local chapter of the SDC. Attend as many functions as you can and make sure to buy the shop, body, and chassis manuals for your car. Be patient while looking. As is already being discussed in another thread, there might just be some hot-rodder getting rid of a complete drive train that will slip right in your car. Best of luck to you.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wish I could help but a neat car at a great price. Please keep posting as you build the coupe.

Bob

Comment

Well, it might be a '50... then again, it might be a '51. I thought all of the '50s had a split windshield. Then again, maybe this was replaced with a one-piece '50 style? Nice find at an even nicer price! Hopefully, you can find the proper flathead six for this. All the best.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Here you go Rob, this would be a start (engine only), if only you can find someone going from Calgary, CANADA to Kentucky!

The car is definitely a 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

'50 Starlights and convertibles had one-piece windshields.

I know there are plenty of those Champion flatheads out there. For the most part, people have trouble giving them away.
                Someone here may step to the plate but, realize your post here will reach a very small portion of the Studebaker community.
                Network with your local SDC chapter and place a want ad in TURNING WHEELS. That will reach nearly 13,000 of the true believers.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                  Well, it might be a '50... then again, it might be a '51. I thought all of the '50s had a split windshield. Then again, maybe this was replaced with a one-piece '50 style? Nice find at an even nicer price! Hopefully, you can find the proper flathead six for this. All the best.
                  Ron: All the Convertibles and Starlight Coupes had a one-piece windshield beginning with the "first-by-far with a postwar car" models in 1947. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And another thing...while you are looking for the power plant, why not take the opportunity to look that front suspension over real good. (I may be telling you something you already know, so please forgive me) That is a one year only assembly and certain parts are getting scarce. While you are doing that, you should consider taking the front dog house off the car and check out the condition of the sheet metal between the fender and where they bolt to the front pillar post of the car. That will also give you an opportunity to clean up and repair any rusty metal around the fender air vents and air ducts. Don't get discouraged by the tasks. One bolt leads to another. Just get you a good radio station with your favorite music going and enjoy the work.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                      It's a '50. The best way to tell a '50 from a '51 is by looking at the front grilles and bullet nose.

1950:

1951:
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        make sure to join your local chapter of the SDC.
                        What part of Kentucky are you in? If you're in the Louisville area you're SOL as far as a local chapter goes. Good luck with the resto....
                        1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Originally posted by 50Champ View Post
                          >>>If you're in the Louisville area you're SOL as far as a local chapter goes.<<<
                          What ,,,what ,,,did someone just volunteer to help start a new SOL (South of Louisville) Chapter ???

Comment

Originally posted by 50Champ View Post
                            What part of Kentucky are you in? If you're in the Louisville area you're SOL as far as a local chapter goes. Good luck with the resto....
                            Look, by local chapter, I mean your State or "Nearest" chapter. I know there are not SDC chapters on every corner like Wal-Mart, or Dollar General Stores. In fact, it is after all a "Hobby." And members of a hobby group have real lives to live and their levels of commitment have to be tempered by that. However, there are members nearly everywhere and if you can get together with a few, you'll be surprised at what you can learn. My reason for encouraging members to get together is so they can "get in the loop" so to speak and understand that there are resources, knowledge, and encouragement that they can avail themselves to. It would be nice if we had a slew of "Jay Leno" style shops where we could all get together, help each other work on our cars, share war stories over your choice of beverages and have a perpetual "car enthusiasts frat party!" However, if a place like that ever existed, I am afraid that it would soon disintegrate into a big opinion brawl, law suits, divorces and even a few wives charged with murder! For me...I think I will stick to the forum, my back yard, and occasionally pay a visit to a "local chapter" member just to pester him and see if he has anything lying around I could use.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John
                              Well said !! although My side is aching from laughing

Comment

Working...
                              X