Electric Fuel Pump installed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fuel Pump installed.

Added Electric Fuel Pump and rerouted lines away from engine heat as much as possible to avoid that dreaded "vapor lock" which attacked last week after having only about 100 miles showing on my odometer.
    Attached Files
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
    Added Electric Fuel Pump and rerouted lines away from engine heat as much as possible to avoid that dreaded "vapor lock" which attacked last week after having only about 100 miles showing on my odometer.
    Your installation is very nicely done and neat, but electric pumps are much better pushers than pullers. You would have less noise and better pump performance by mounting the pump nearer the gas tank.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Electric fuel pump

Paul,
      Thanks for your comments. I may move the electric pump closer to the fuel tank later on but right now, I want it easy to get to if needed. It worked real good when I turned it on.
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana
      1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Wow that Rosey RED looks just like Dave Lester, studedude's custom '53 Coupe.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Where did you wire the negative to?
          What type of switch did you us and where is it installed?

Comment

I see you have the clear plastic paper filter put in line with the filter that came with the pump. The metal filter has an internal metal screen. It will catch the big stuff (rust scale & such) but not the very fine silt, if there's any in your tank.

If your tank had a lot of gunk in it, it's possible the metal filter can become clogged, so keep that in mind. It's also possible for a piece of gunk to become stuck in one of the pump's 2 one way flapper valves. If the pump output falls off or fails, these are the most common issues. I mention this for those guys who have gas tanks that aren't in good clean condition.
            Mike Sal

Comment

Watch out for the clear filter, unless they changed the material for the plastic, I had one several years ago that the alcohol I was experimenting with ate thru and caused an engine fire. I've stayed away from them since. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
                Be sure you have enough rubber flex in the line going from body/frame to engine!
                The engine will torque, flex and vibrate, flexing the fuel line.
                The pulling, twisting, or flexing of fuel lines require same flex line ability as brake flex lines.
                A bad motor mount can make the situation worse when a fuel line breaks loose and pumps gas across a hot engine, or exhaust.
                The pump should be in a low spot where gravity feeds it (even it not near tank) where it can then push the fuel.

James
                Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Working...
                X