1927 Studebaker started after years of being dormant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1927 Studebaker started after years of being dormant

Some of you might know that we picked up a '27 for John's dad this spring while he was still in Guam. It has been sitting patiently in our garage awaiting his return. This weekend, he finally made it back home and came over to look at his "taxi" in person. Since he was going to trailer it back to his house, the question came up whether we should push the car onto the trailer or try to get it started and drive it right on. We decided that nothing ventured was nothing gained, and John's dad got to work prepping the vehicle for the big experiment. Much to our surprise, the '27 started up without incident and with only a few minor adjustments! Here is a video of our exciting moment. It was such a welcome success after the craziness of our past month. It was great to finally have the family back together under one roof for a few days before getting back to our busy schedules. It will also be nice to bring the '55 truck back home from the storage shed!

1927 Studebaker started after years of being dormant. We filled her up with gas, placed a new battery in her, and were off for a Saturday drive! Well, kind ...

Congratulations!! Nice!!
    Hey Taxi !!!
    -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Trailer??!!!! Good grief, drive that beauty home! What a thrill!

Comment

WHAT'S THIS????? You didn't use the hand crank?

LOL, I don't know, did '27 Studees come with a hand crank? The old girl looks and sounds great! Was that Dear Old Dad that was under the bonnet and guiding her out? Looks like John behind the wheel? Also looks like lots of fun! Thanks for sharing the moment!
        Last edited by studeclunker; 07-18-2010, 06:30 AM.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The the taxi cronicles

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
          WHAT'S THIS????? You didn't use the hand crank?

LOL, I don't know, did '27 Studees come with a hand crank? The old girl looks and sounds great! Was that Dear Old Dad that was under the bonnet and guiding her out? Looks like John behind the wheel? Also looks like lots of fun! Thanks for sharing the moment!
          Yes it came with a hand crank, and that's the old dad (nobodies ever added the dear to him) John was the driver, he did good. Of course the hand crank won't work on this one it has a 1941 GM truck six and four speed in it. Took me about five minutes to remember how to get it into reverse. When it came time John put it in granny and drove it right up on the trailer. (i'm not sure he wanted it to leave)

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
            Trailer??!!!! Good grief, drive that beauty home! What a thrill!
            It was a thrill, but could only drive it around the block, it needs new roof wood and top. Had too wrap it and trailer it to save whats there for a pattern. I do have the early tin bug again and can't wait to put it on the road.

Comment

Too much fun! Congrats!
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                Too much fun! Congrats

!
                The fun part is me doing woodwork without a good pattern, I've made some excellent toothpicks out of most wood projects. Should be good for a few laughs

Comment

Wow, it sounds great! Looks pretty good too. There's absolutely nothing better than hearing a car start right up after being dormant for a long time. Congrats.

Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Right on! That looked like a barrel of fun. I love the sound of those old gearboxes!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Fantastic!
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by bridgegaurd View Post
                        The fun part is me doing woodwork without a good pattern, I've made some excellent toothpicks out of most wood projects. Should be good for a few laughs
                        I can do metal, but am good at messing up wood. Best to ya!
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ

Comment

Needs the original iron under the hood. Then you can use the crank!

Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X