Transmission Swap for 2R10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Swap for 2R10

My 1950 2R10 has the optional HD 4 speed T9 transmission, with spur gearing and no synchromesh at all. Double clutching is no problem, but lining the shift lever up with the shift pattern the transmission wants is a bear. The result is a really nasty gear clash that happens a lot more often than I would like. I am living on borrowed time before I cream the transmission. I think I want a T98 transmission that is both 4 speed and synchromesh (2nd, 3rd, and 4th). My questions are:

1) What model years and model numbers had this transmission either as standard or as HD option? I understand T98s were supplied in enough models so that they should be reasonably available.

2) Is a T98 a true bolt-in application - same bell housing, clutch, propeller shaft flange etc? My truck has a Champion engine, and many 4 speeds were mated to Commander engines.

3) Are all the bits and pieces interchangeable, such as driveshaft parking brake, floorboard cover, driveshaft flanges etc. Or do I need to find a complete donor truck? There are lots of big grain trucks sitting in fields in Montana, but I don't want to have to go that far (I live in the Seattle area).

4) What do I need to ask to have a reasonable change of getting a T98 that is in good shape and that likely does not need overhaul?

5) What is the going price for a decent T98?

Any answers or advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Phil B.

Phil, my 1949 2R15 has the same setup you have and I agree, that T9 can be a bear to shift without grinding. 98% of the time I can do it with no more than a small snick but sometimes, if my mind wanders while I'm shifting, it's a disaster. I've often wondered if the T9 was built that way or mine was just worn out. It just seems like the stick can move where ever it wants and not in a nice H pattern. I'm very interested in the answers you'll get to your questions.
    Rick
    Kingman, AZ

Comment

When you switch over to the T98, you'll agree it is worth whatever it costs and whatever it takes. It is like driving a different truck.

You didn't ask this, but if it were my truck and I wasn't planning to load it to full GVW, I'd install the 3-speed w/overdrive. This makes it a real pleasure to drive, lowers the engine noise, increases both cruising speed and fuel economy.

jack vines.
      PackardV8

Comment

I've never done the swap, but the answers to most of your questions are in the parts book. The T9/T9A was standard on most 2R15 and heavier trucks, and optional on a variety of other models. The T98 became optional late in the 2R series, and essentially replaced the T9 in the 3R series, though the T9 was still available on some 1955 E models. The specific truck serial numbers at changeover are in the parts book. The bell housings have different part numbers, so they appear to be different. The drive shafts are different length, and many of the small bits have different part numbers. Someone who has done this swap will have a lot more info than do I, but a complete T98 parts truck might be the easiest wasy to proceed.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

A quick check of the parts book shows a different bell housing for spur gear and helical gear 4 speed transmissions. You would need the disc parking brake assembly but the transmission cover in the cab is the same. The drive shaft length for a T9 is 59 3/8" and a T98 is 56 1/2". The pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch disc and pressure plate seem to all be the same. A donor truck of the same wheelbase would be nice, especially if you wanted to go the 3 speed/OD route.

Has anybody actually done this swap? Your experience would be greatly appreciated.
          Rick
          Kingman, AZ

Comment

All-

Thanks very much for your efforts to answer my questions. Sometimes the brutal truth is what is needed.

Lacking a reply from someone who has actually done a T98 for T9 swap, it sounds like almost like I would do better to swap trucks, get one that already has a T98 in it, and demote mine to a parts truck (smile). It sounds like I would need a new bell housing, T98 transmission, a new parking brake assembly. and a new or modified driveshaft. That's more effort than I was hoping for.

Yes, a 3 speed with OD would be nice, but I would need a new bell housing, transmission with OD, modified driveshaft, a made to order floor shifter, and all the bits and pieces for the rear drum parking brake setup. Again, more effort than I was hoping for.

So, it looks like I should learn to accept the facts that a T9's shift lever wanders wherever it wants and that I must get to know where it should go, and that a 45 mph cruise with matching horrendous engine noise is just what a 1950's farm truck was supposed to be. After all, the truck was never intended as a turnpike cruiser. I do have a spare T9 transmission of unknown condition, which gives me more time to learn how to shift my existing T9. If I really want to go anal, I can do what some of the pre WWII small horsepower Rolls-Royce owners do, which is to install an old Volvo OD behind the existing transmission. That leaves the driveshaft parking brake intact, unfortunately with the nasty shifting of the T9 as was. The other radical option is to swap the Champion engine (now rebuilt) and T9 combo with say a Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 with OD manual transmission. That means finding the bits and pieces to convert over to rear drum parking brake. I don't like this last, as I would like to stay all Studebaker.

Again, thanks for all your time and effort. Best, Phil.

Comment

Hi, Phil,

Check around, put out inquiries here and on the truck forum. All the parts for the 3-speed overdrive conversion are still pretty thick on the ground. It transforms the truck from a painful driving experience to a pleasure. Promise you'll be glad you did it.

jack vines.
              PackardV8

Comment

Hi Jack - You mention the "truck forum". Where is it? I can't find it. Thanks, Phil.

Comment

Hi Phil
                  You might have to copy and paste this , but here is the address to the Studebaker Truck Forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/
                  Blake

Comment

Hi Blake- Thanks for the link. I posted my question, and have already gotten a usable reply. Best, Phil.

Comment

Working...
                    X