I learned something today about 1963 1st series script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I learned something today about 1963 1st series script

Recently, I posted on ebay a pair of Gran Turismo scripts. I thought I had them for awhile and it is time to give up. It turns out these are the first series script made in the USA. That these scripts were made of brass and not pot metal. On the back of these scripts states the manufacture which is Douglas. Thanks Jim for the information.

Well I sure would not call them "First Series", maybe "prior" to current series would be more like it. The truth is EVERYBODY and their Uncle has had a go at making these GT nameplates over the years. In the early 1970's I remember Frost & French Studebaker had those solid Brass ones they were selling, and I don't know if it was entirely their own effort (I doubt it) or a local Los Angeles SDC Member looking to make a buck, SASCO, Newman & Altman or who. S.I. and or their suppliers and others have done some way more recently.
    But I guarantee you these are not original, as in "First Series". They would have had the standard original Studebaker nameplate flat mounting pins, NOT round and be pot metal, and probably made by Roth.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-17-2010, 02:25 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And original nameplates fit in all the original holes. Thats another way you can tell.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Rich I have never seen a 63 script with the flat mounting pegs all have been round and pointed, after market are round but larger in size and flat on the end, I think the flat peg ended in 61.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

As I said before I have never seen a 63 script with flat pins and I have seen a lot and parted out a lot of GT's flat on cars up to 62, if some one has a GT script please post a picture and prove me wrong.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
            As I said before I have never seen a 63 script with flat pins and I have seen a lot and parted out a lot of GT's flat on cars up to 62, if some one has a GT script please post a picture and prove me wrong.
            They might be thinking of the Studebaker script.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a spare NOS '64 GT in its original packaging 1360160W that I purchased from Lionel Stone way back in 1989 at the Hollywood Meet. It is an original piece but one thing puzzles me. The filled in letters of a, s & o are blackened in the middle whereas the original name plates on my doors are not. Any of you old timers can add comment ?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
              MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
              X